Potterton e133 code after PRV and expansion vessel changed

AS2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so I had high pressure issues on my potterton combi boiler. Called an engineer who charged £75 for a call out then said the PRV and expansion vessel needs changing and that’ll sort it. I said I’d rather got homeserve and subscribe to the yearly subscription + paying the £99 upfront for emergency fix, so that if I get any other issues I’m covered.
However gas engineer reassured me once he changes what he mentioned I shouldn’t have any other issues. So I went ahead with him and he charged a further £280 All in.

The boiler was fixed but few hours later E133 code showed. Phoned the engineer and followed instructions to reset etc. Nothing! He said he’ll try coming this evening or get someone over tomorrow morning. I have 2 toddlers, no heating or hot water. Quite angry and upset.
My question is:
1. Is he going to come round and demand more money for further fix or is it down to him to fix this issue as it arised after he fiddled with the boiler? I’ve already spent £355!!
2. Can I fix it myself?

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
what is the pressure guage showing ? do you have any other gas appliances are they working ok ?

There’s a tube under the boiler next to the tube where you increase pressure, is wet/possibly leaking. It feels like condensation. Never had that before.
Engineer said he cant do anything tonight as he is ‘far’- this is unacceptable to be honest. He fixed it today and it hasn’t lasted half a day. Botched job if you ask me and a rip off. Feel like calling rogue traders!!

Sponsored Links
sounds like a problem with your condensate blocking for some reason if your other gas appliances are working ok

This happened straight after the engineer changed the PRV sand expansion vessel. Do you think he’s made an error somewhere?

impossible to say as I havent seen the boiler, you will have to wait and see what he says

Yes let’s see what he says. I am not paying an extra penny. He guaranteed 1 year- it lasted 2 hours. Otherwise a small claims is on the way to him.

Yes let’s see what he says. I am not paying an extra penny. He guaranteed 1 year- it lasted 2 hours. Otherwise a small claims is on the way to him.

It could be a coincidence

He is here now and he doesn’t have a clue why it goes to e133. He thinks it’s the potterton circuit boards being very sensitive. He’s using a hairdryer to dry it. Anyone else have a clue?

Engineer said he cant do anything tonight as he is ‘far’- this is unacceptable to be honest.

Plumbers aren't kept on coat hangers and pulled out of a wardrobe when you need one.

https://www.potterton.co.uk/information-and-advice/winter-advice

If your Potterton boiler has been installed with the plastic condensate pipe on an outside wall, the liquid inside the condensate pipe could freeze if the temperature drops below zero. If this happens, the boiler will shut down to protect itself and you will see the error code E133 on its display panel. The display will alternate between E1 and 33.
To get your Potterton boiler back up and running again without having to call an engineer, please follow our easy to follow steps:

We’ve done all that no luck. The engineer said to get the circuit board refurbished £60 or replaced £200. Or I go with British Gas repair and cover £99 + £24/month. This engineer basically cocked up my boiler when he replaced the PRV and expansion vessel. Absolute disastrous.

so I had high pressure issues on my potterton combi boiler. Called an engineer who charged £75 for a call out then said the PRV and expansion vessel needs changing and that’ll sort it. I said I’d rather got homeserve and subscribe to the yearly subscription + paying the £99 upfront for emergency fix, so that if I get any other issues I’m covered.
However gas engineer reassured me once he changes what he mentioned I shouldn’t have any other issues. So I went ahead with him and he charged a further £280 All in.

The boiler was fixed but few hours later E133 code showed. Phoned the engineer and followed instructions to reset etc. Nothing! He said he’ll try coming this evening or get someone over tomorrow morning. I have 2 toddlers, no heating or hot water. Quite angry and upset.
My question is:
1. Is he going to come round and demand more money for further fix or is it down to him to fix this issue as it arised after he fiddled with the boiler? I’ve already spent £355!!
2. Can I fix it myself?

Thanks guys.
Should have scrapped the boiler

We’ve done all that no luck. The engineer said to get the circuit board refurbished £60 or replaced £200. Or I go with British Gas repair and cover £99 + £24/month. This engineer basically cocked up my boiler when he replaced the PRV and expansion vessel. Absolute disastrous.
Lol..instantly become an expert now!.

Good luck with that,proving he caused it.If water had gone onto the pcb it would not last 2secs never mind 2 hours

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back