Potterton engineers on visits (Combi 80)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to everyone who replied to my last query about plumber or electrician. Update (and new question):

A Corgi engineer (plumber and qualified to do electrics on 70k boiler) came to have a look at this non-functioning boiler (no lights not even the mains - tho another electrician got it going a week ago and it worked till the next morning only) 3 nights ago (no charge for looking). The Corgi engineer had left tools at another job! With my Phillips screwdriver, he looked at the (brand new) on/off wall switch for the mains, and removed the 13amp fuse. When he left, he had left the fuse on the table and the fuse part of the wall switch jutting out. I pushed the fuse part back in (without the fuse). I don't know why he left it like that and, frankly, not liking his attitude rang him to thank him for coming next morning but said I'd make other arrangements.

So a Potterton engineer is coming tomorrow (bit the bullet and booked it). However, part of the recorded message you listen to before you book a visit says Potterton engineers will not fix any cables or electrics if the fault is outside the boiler cabinet. I know for a fact that the fault is to do with some part of the wiring inside the boiler (as the last 4 people who've looked at it said). Anyone know if the Potterton engineer is likely to not help just because the fuse has been taken out of the wall switch?

Hope this doesn't seem a daft question, but cannot face any further delay to it being put right (fed up and cold after 15 days with just one overnight respite!). Just a bit nervous about this. Thanks again everyone - would really appreciate some response.

Sponsored Links
I don't know, but I doubt you would be charged if they can't do anything and a very quick check would confirm where the electrical fault lies. If they are unable to help maybe Bg could as they cover parts and labour including all system wiring for a fixed fee of about 130.00, plus there is no charge if it can't be fixed....if you need a sparky for external wiring for example.

I'm sure the potterton engineer would fix the problem and replace the fuse ;) if it needs a new pcb kit this replaces all the wiring inside the boiler anyway so it would be sorted ;)

And Ollski i thought you had to have your electricity and gas supplied by BG to qualify for this offer :confused: which not everyone does ;)

Sponsored Links
gazthepottertonengineer said:
And Ollski i thought you had to have your electricity and gas supplied by BG to qualify for this offer :confused: which not everyone does ;)

No Gaz, think it may be 10 -15 difference in cost if you don't have Bg as one of your energy suppliers, but the offer is across the board. Single fault only though.

The rules may state that anything outside the boiler is not covered by a call out but the engineers are human and will at lest change a fuse.

:D
A very big thank you to all you great guys who replied. Much truth in all you said. Yes, it was a new PCB and he did fix the fuse - I was panicking, so thanks too for putting my mind at rest! But many would panic after 15 days in the cold!! It cost a lot, but as the Combi 80 is about 7 years old, most thought I'd need a new one in a year or two (thought would have lasted longer), but anyway am now covered for every possible fault in the next year, while I save up for new boiler! :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back