Potterton EP2 Faulty PCB Microprocessor Chip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Potterton EP2 central heating time switch has come up with a classic problem now. CH settings fine and all work ok but the HW setting for ON/Off 3 will not allow me to go past 3.30 pm off time? Originally set at 4.20 pm and after a few years use wanted to change it to 3.30 pm but once set cannot change it again to later on in the evening?
Yes have used the reset button and also taken it off any power with the 3.0 volt battery taken out overnight and does exactly the same thing again. Have taken the unit completely apart down to pcb level which is actually well built for a change.
The main microprocessor chip is completely hidden deliberately with black epoxy so cannot check up on the type used? Suspect it is actually a faulty batch of chips with a bug deeply embedded inside that of course cannot be changed.
Suspect the company knows this as with my own electronics company you never admit to a fault or everybody wants a replacement I was told. BMW play the same game until the papers get hold of the storey.
It did cost me £66.00 but now it is closer to £90.00 anybody else recently had this known problem reappear with later version pcb's as I don't want to fork out more money for exactly the same problem to occur.

Sponsored Links
I’m not familiar with the fault, but why not just swap the programmer out for a different make/model?

Have you tried powering it down, including taking out or discharging the battery, if there is one?

Sponsored Links
PCB in question has marked on it EP1L0G02V10 and the smaller general board is marked up as EP300PW02V13 with the usual rectifier bridge on board. If it was just a resistor or separate component then one would expect a complete failure of the settings not just the very last one on only hot water.

Hi, from memory the battery backup keeps its settings for 24 hrs. Might need to keep its power off accordingly, for a full reset.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back