Potterton powermax 155x

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm at the end of my tether. I've had at least 20- odd call out to my Powermax for the same fault.
The boiler keeps locking out. British gas have changed , electrodes, twisty things in the baffles, fan, checked the gas pressure, 3 PCB's ( & two brand new ones were faulty out of the box - same lockout fault) this leads me to suspect that the pcb's are not actually faulty and the fault lies elsewhere.
BG even called Potterton – they just changed the PCB again and the fault returned a week later.

Can you help??

Sponsored Links
At this stage I would go to the user manual and look at fault diagnostics for lock out, tick off the new parts that have been fitted then look at the other parts that it could be causing this problem and suggest to BG, but does sound like PCB.

Transco is a good shout along with a faulty burner or
a problem with the flue.

Baxi should be called back though by your friendly BG man if they have not fixed the problem.

Sponsored Links
BG called transco and they said the meter govenor was fine. BG then called transco back again and asked them to change it anyway, which they did.
I'm not sure what flue arrangement i've got, but BG have been into the loft to check it and put some extra straps around it. there seens to be two pipe one goes out-side and the other seem to be an air inlet.

I would agree that it's not the PCB's at fault, Its always the easy diagnosis, and in my experience with the 185 Powermax (which has caused me endless grief in the last year), it won't be the PCB.

It sounds like the gas valve is causing the problem, or the electrode - gap isn't sufficient to the electrode, and is therefore not sensing the flame and locking out.

Try and find a good local engineer who understands the boilers properly, to avoid all this mis diagnosis (which I've been through myself this year with the infamous Powermax boilers).

Cheers,

BG came again today & the engineer did't have a clue so he said he request another Potterton visit!!!

All the BG and ex-BG guys seem very quiet this evening!

I thought all the BG guys had been on powermax courses?

I dont see an APS on the list.

Tony

A.P.S Dont think so Agile.

Air sense/burner pressure differential - - 0.13 ± 0.03mbar

Thanks baxmax

the potterton & BG engineers are coming back on Monday.

I'll get them to check it.

Hi All

Thanks for all the help.

The Potterton engineer came out and changed the burner head..it had a crack around the top.

It's now been working for about 2 months without fault.. The longest fault free period for 3 years.

Shame it only took about 3 years and 20 odd call outs to fix it though.

Thanx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back