Replacing EP6000 Potterton Programmer for new Potterton EP2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal Classic NF70 gas boiler which has run for 20 years and given no problems over so many years of use. But the original Potterton EP6000 programmer has had its relays replaced twice over the years and LED’s but the actual membrane for setting up the times has stopped working.
Purchased a new Potterton EP2 programmer as the advertising from the company states that you can just swop them over, no problem I thought onto the original backplate?
I wanted to set up Mon-Fri then Sat-Sun on the new timer and used the information on (12) for replacing another programmer. Also the pumped setting. Assumed independent setting as I did have separate HW and CH times on the EP6000 running two separate Honeywell valves with a Grundfoss pump coming from the copper tank in the airing cupboard.
I have tried the initial id setting of 1 programmed in which shows on the installers guide 2 on offs independent and Mon-Fri plus Sat-Sun but the CH will only come on if the HW is also selected? Tried id setting 5 when programming at the start for an EP6002 and exactly the same problem that the HW has to be on at the same time?
Can anybody tell me why the EP6000 worked running separate HW or CH times only plus of course the both together when just plugging in the new EP2 will not give this option. I have made the assumption that independent means separate CH and HW and that linked means both have to be on at the same time. Wish I had not thrown out the original EP6000 into the bin now. Is there a link to be changed on the actual backplate that Potterton do not inform you of when changing to the EP2?

FlyingBrick

Sponsored Links
Hi denso13

Had the two options and set it for fully pumped and pressed YES hoping that might be the correct setting.
Checked the two links on the backplate a) Link N to N
b) Link L to 5
These links are the same back in 1993 for the EP6000 so no change there.
In the programme ID numbers 1 to 12 set it for number 1 to give the Mon - Fri and separate Sat - Sun which says independent on the instructions.
Also tried the number 5 position for the EP6002 setting without any luck.

The boiler is vented to atmospheric pressure but the pump has to be on for circulating the hot water for CH & HW via the two Honeywell valves that have both been tested ok including the micro switches. The NF70 boiler is downstairs on a utility room wall and Grundfoss pump next to the copper tank upstairs in the airing cupboard.
Am I correct in using the fully pumped setting for this set up denso?

FlyingBrick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back