Potterton Ep2000 to Ep2 change.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Decided to change to the Potterton Ep2 programmer as the sliders had gone on the ep2000.
I kept the wiring the same as the backplates are the same. The only exemption is there are no interconnecting terminals ABCD on the Ep2. For the 2 wires that were on these spare terminals I used an external strip in the flush 2 gang box undrneath the unit.
On powering up the unit comes up with all the usual but the boiler works independently to the programmer. Infant the CH and HW are constantly on and work with the spur only.
I would really appreciate some help on this.

Sponsored Links
According to this, the programmer should be a direct replacement for other Potterton EP programmers with no wiring alterations needed. Don't forget to set the type of system according to section 11 in the installation manual. post a photo of how the programmer base is wired though, it may indicate something.

Last edited:
Hi ETH,

Done that to a fully pumped system on program 01.

Sponsored Links
Hi ETH,

Not sure if pic helps. Due to the wiring congestion and how the original wires were laid out, I used 2 junction boxes as you will see. I had to move the programmer away to its current location as the previous one was located directly underneath the condensate pipe.
Please let me know if you require further clarification.
Thanks
20160217_070908.jpg

Attachments

• 20160217_070908.jpg
    20160217_070908.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 2,109
I thought the new ep2 fitted the old existing backplate therefore no wiring alterations were required. If I'm wrong then I'll get my coat.

I thought the new ep2 fitted the old existing backplate therefore no wiring alterations were required. If I'm wrong then I'll get my coat.
It should do!

What terminals abcd had wires in? They are each individual connectors with no links between and the base was designed to be used as a wiring centre, you simply put the correct wires into the terminals as marked in the instruction leaflet, depending on what system 'plan' you had.
If the wires were in separate terminals they should be kept that way. If the wiring on the right of the programmer base is exactly the same as it was before, the fault should be with the abcd wires. Nothing has gone bang and blown a fuse at any point has it?

How many motorised valves do you have? And how many pipes connect to each one? With only one timed wire it will only be possible to select all on or all off. Was it like this before?

Do you have to wait for your cylinder to reach temperature before the radiators start to warm up?

I hope the power was switched off when you took the photos with the programmer not fitted to the base!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back