potterton ep6000 programmer panel goes blank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have POTTERTON profile 80 boiler with potterton ep6000 programmer.
By boiler (water and CH) was working till today morning 11.00 am but suddenly programmer's screen went blank and boiler off. I switched off the power for programmer and switched on again, it showed all the numbers for 2-3 seconds, then some tick tick sound for few seconds and again everything goes blank so see the blank screen.
So boiler obviously boiler didnt work.

Tried to power on off programmer but same results. After about 2 hours, i retired and this time when I switched on programmer, same tick tick sound, screen turned blank for 4-5 seconds and time appreared and boiler started working. When turned the heating on, the programmer reset it self and time reset. I experienced, last night also programmer reset automatically but heating was fine. It never used to make the tick tick sound when started.

ANy idea what could be the reason? Is this is a programmer issue or boiler?
I would really appreciate if you give any pointers...

Thanks in advance.

Updates: Now when turn water heating on on programmer, it works but when turn on CH, it resets.
Updates: Now when water heating turned on, it ignites the boiler and works for a min and programmer resets

Sponsored Links
the programmer is faulty or its lost its voltage supply
if you have a multi meter lift the programmer off its back plate
check the security of the L & N connections and measure for 230Vac

if ok then the EP6000 is faulty

Thanks 'matt1e'.

Yes looks like the programmer is faulty. Now if I power on this programmer, out of 10 times, it shows the numbers 6 times and once it its ready when I turn on the CH, it triggers the ignition on the boiler, boiler runs for 2-3 mins and stops, also the programmer resets. But once in 20 times, CH and water works fine for few hours.

Is that possible that boiler is also at fault? Does boiler give any signals to programmer to reset or something?

Also any idea which is the replacement for ep6000 programmer and how much would it cost to replace it?

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Sponsored Links
You can link 5-4 to get the heating working if the programmer is faulty.

The Ep 6002 is a straight replacement

THanks doitall.

I called a number of plumbers and cheapest quoted was £180 to replace the wiring and the installing a new compatible programmer(perhaps different brand). This also includes clearing/servicing the boiler.

Do you think it's a good idea to replace the programmer with other brand programmer and change the wiring?

Is £180 a reasonable amount for boiler service + replacement of programmer?

Thanks.

From memory the 6002 plugs into the existing back plate with no wiring changes required, a 5 min job.

You can buy the 6002 for around £50 and save £130 quid :cool:

Thanks All.
Your replies have really encouraged me to DIY (replacing 6000 with 6002).
Any suggessions how to remove the EP6000 from the backplate?

I see a little rectangular slot at the bottom of the 6000, is that something when pushed unclips the programmer? (looks like 6000 seems to be having a cover which looks different from 6002) Posting few pics of my EP 6000.

Thanks,

PS: Got some clue from the link below but looks like my programmer is different from mentioned.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=147049

When you get the new one you'll see how the old one unclips :cool:

Thanks. Really appreaciate your help all.

Last quesiton. EP 6000 does have a 3A Spur and battery fitted-in where as EP 6002 doesnt have any spur or battery. Circuit diagram for 6002 shows the spur between N & L.

Was wondering if I want to use already fitted backboard with new EP6002, how would 6002 be a direct replacement for 6000 as its doesnt have the 3A built in spur? Would wiring need redone with 3A spur?

Thanks

EP6000(back) with spur and battery

EP6002(back)

EP6002 instructions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back