Potterton Fireside 50 not lighting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm hoping that I'm being stupid . . .

I have a Fireside 50 back boiler. I have been in this property 2 months without any issues. This boiler runs the central heating. Hot water is via an emersion heater.

I had a new (gas) cooker fitted 2 days ago. During this operation the engineer turned off the main gas stop cock before turning it on again. Following this I tried to light the boiler (for the first time, the previous owners had left it lit). I can see a spark when I press the ignition but no pilot flame lights. There are no room thermostats in the house, the water system is full, the pump feels as though it is working and I have tried various combinations of timer switch settings. I've adjusted the output to its lowest setting (N) (and also tried to light it at it's highest setting 7 - a long shot I know). Still no luck.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You may be trying to light fresh air if there is air in the pipe, try lighting the pilot with a taper, how come this person who had the gas off didn't purge the gas pipes when finished and relight the pilot for you :?:

do you have to then :LOL:
have the thermocouple changed first they always seem to go when the gas is turned off
your "engineer" should have purged the pipework and re lit all pilots
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, all now lit up.

Not sure about flushing the pipes thing. Maybe as the boiler is not in the same room as the cooker it got forgotten? Anyway I shall know to ask for this next time I have a (different!) corgi guy in to do gas work.

Cheers.

This is why we carry round with us what we in the trade call, a "mouth", technical peice of equipment which we use to ASK he customer whether he has any other gas appliances in the property, obviously forgot to bring his"mouth" with him, they are going to be compulsory from April 2005, going to be used for a lot of what we in the trade call "swearing", been using mine a lot recently ready for next year.

funny that - my trade (IT) also makes use of 'swearing'. Ran out of my personal lifetime quota by the time I was 22! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back