Potterton Gold 24HE condensing gas combi.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Potterton Gold HE gas condensing combi boiler.

No HW or CH.

The start up sequence when turned on does not complete.

Fault indication on display can read E20 (sensors at fault). But sometimes it can read any different numbers unrelated to codes in manual.

Fan comes on and will eventually turn off. Pump never runs. This will happen in both hot water setting or HW & CH setting.

A visual inspection looks ok. That doesn't mean a thing I know.

I always dismiss the PC board and think it must be something else, but given the random flashing of the temp/fault gauge, would it be the PC!
Our regular plumber will come, but has said that he has not yet worked on one yet, so will be working without prior knowledge.

Has anyone else had a go at these boilers recently so I can at least tell him of the forums experiences.

Much obliged.

Sponsored Links
Is the flow thermistor chrome or brass ????????.

Resistance will be between 0.5K& and 20K ohms if you have multi-meter

g4u, I got this boiler as a 're-boxed' one, paid the price in the long run, as it was sold with a limited 12 month guarantee, which has just expired.

poxi- I took out the hw thermistor, that was chrome and I took out the flue thermistor, that was chrome. Typical, I didn't take out the flow one in the flow pipe so don't know. Does one or other fail more than the another. (hope that made sense). I don't understand how these thermistors would stop it going through it's start up procedure when starting from cold, and I did not have a multi meter, which was no help. Each thermistor I have subsequently found out is no more than £8-£10. So should have put them in anyway.

This gold replaced an old chaffoteaux, which I got to know like the back of my hand. I must admit to being totally baffled with all the new electronics. Will be interested to learn from the plumber, his method of fault finding.

Sponsored Links
Guarantee had not expired- taken from date of installation- Heat team came today, I had told tenant to leave the boiler switched off (three days) engineer switched on boiler -started first time, no problems with boiler whatsoever.

He can only suggest something had got damp! :rolleyes:

These things are here to try us :)

No, didn't replace any parts, just took off both covers to look inside.

It's so typical that this happens, I was with the boiler for three hours last Thursday and it just would not work!

He should have at least measured the sensor,If it was chrome i would have changed it any way.I sense a RECALL on the cards :oops:

you're probably right poxi.

Which sensor would you have recommended to be changed, as there are three of them: flue/heat, central heating and DHW sensor.
You also mention the chrome sensor as though they are a problem compared to brass. Can you say why. For the small price of replacements, I would just as well get some ready for the inevitable recall :rolleyes:

Trawling through the MI's it states 'When changing components ensure that both the gas and electrical supplies are isolated before any work is started. When the component has been changed turn the spring pressure to the reset position and hold for five seconds to reset boiler before recommissioning'.

This appears to me that the PCB has some sort of logic sequence that has to be reset each time. Perhaps when I was disconnecting sensors etc. I was cocking up the PCB's karma. :)

For the small price of replacements, I would just as well get some ready for the inevitable recall :rolleyes:

Manufacturer's recalls are done free of charge to the owner by their service engineers or by BG on contract. They provide the replacement parts!

Ideal and Vaillant seem to like recalls but Baxi/Pott dont seem to do many!

Tony

Ideal and Vaillant seem to like recalls but Baxi/Pott dont seem to do many!

95% first time fix rate is the target.

It cost a lot more to send an engineer back, than most boiler parts are worth.

you're probably right poxi.

Which sensor would you have recommended to be changed, as there are three of them: flue/heat, central heating and DHW sensor.
hen I was disconnecting sensors etc. I was cocking up the PCB's karma.

CH Sensor.

Sorry, I think I have misinterpreted the "recall".

I thought you meant a "manufacturer's recall" meaning the sensors were often failing and ALL of them were going to be changed to avoid failure!

In retrospect I think you just meant that particular repair visit was going to be repeated because the fault will reappear.

To the OP the different colour sensors are probably different manufacturers. Cheung Lee or Ho Fun etc.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back