potterton housewarmer 45 ignition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a potterton housewarmer 45. I have just had it rewired and a new programmer in. The problem i have now is that the ignition is really slow. It used to try and ignite a few times a second, now, it tries about once a second until it eventually locks out if it doesn't ignite. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
it has been checked already. It does occasionally try and ignite a few times a second as it should, but not very often.

I suspect the secret may lie in the rewiring!

However, its difficult for me to imagine what normal rewiring of the system could cause a fault like that!

It could therefore be totally coincidental.

If it does not light then that usually means that the boiler has not been serviced by a competent registered gas engineer for a very long time!

Tony

Sponsored Links
If it does not light then that usually means that the boiler has not been serviced by a competent registered gas engineer for a very long time!

Tony

Yes, but was that a service or a service?

The difference being did he remove and clean all the internal gas parts. If so then the flame should reliably light on the first spark.

British Gas do a "service" which only involved putting a flue gas analyser in the flue and if the CO is within limits then they dont even open up the boiler!

A proper service would take about 25-35 minutes!

Tony

the service was a proper service by a corgi registered engineer who came very highly recemmended. Took about an hour or so. Due to the rewiring taking place, the firefront is off, am waiting for the gasman to come back off hols this weekend to put it back on. Could the pilot be blocked / dirty due to dust being able to get in. As i said before, it lights some of the time, ust not all the time. :(

Tony

Yes, but was that a service or a service?

The difference being did he remove and clean all the internal gas parts. If so then the flame should reliably light on the first spark.

British Gas do a "service" which only involved putting a flue gas analyser in the flue and if the CO is within limits then they dont even open up the boiler!

A proper service would take about 25-35 minutes!

Tony

The OP is talking about a back boiler Tony. 25-35 minutes is quick on them to say the least.

Yes, I always allow 1.25 hours. In my view its not possible to do a proper job in less time.

However, some of the Nickos and Namsags said that I was too slow and anyone should be able to do them in 1/2 hour!

I really had in mind 25-35 minutes on the boiler itself to exclude removing/refitting and servicing the fire.

I met an engineer working for a contractor to an HA who was allowed only 22 minutes to service a BBU and issue an LSC. Obviously he could not do it in that time and ended up working through his lunch and extra hours otherwise he would lose his 25% bonus!

Tony

That particular Housewarmer is a pain to service and i agree 1.25 hour is sufficient. That assuming the little oxy pipe is clear and not bunged up to left handside and the filter is easy to remove. :evil:

they aren't meant to do that and you'll find that the small minority or contractors would be the culprits. it still needs taking apart and checking inside, but at least you don't tar all the thousands of engineers with the same brush ;)

i've seen boilers serviced by independent people for years and the customer is amazed when i take it apart as they've never seen it taken apart before!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back