potterton kingfisher 2

Hp1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Having problem with potterton Kingfisher 2 RS 60 (G/c 41 607 19),. The pilot goes out intermittently.

Have serviced boiler (badly needed service), checked gas rate. Heat exchanger cleaned. Seals checked. thermocouple changed as a matter of course (old thermocouple was ok drop out time 25S).

Burning a lot better after service (stripped and cleaned burner assy). However the customer says pilot still goes out occasionally. No sign of vitiation or flame lift.

Could the gas valve be faulty or is there anything else I should check. (The overheat stat is not wired in series with the thermocouple). Also on some of these type of boilers I find the flames do not burn as blue as on the fan flue type appliances (even after a good service0, any comments.

Kind regards

Harry (RGI)

Sponsored Links
Its not unknown for customers to "make up problems".

the only thing I would suggest is that you clean the t/c connection at the entry to the gas valve.

Have you checked the drop out time with the new t/c?

A favourite is the pilot dropping out due to a slugish regulator when the boiler first fires.

Have you measured the inlet pressure with a fast response pressure measurement method?

Tony

Hi Tony,

thanks for your reply.

The drop off time for the new thermocouple is again approx 25-30 Seconds. I did check the thermocouple connection point to gas valve, but could not see anything that may be causing a problem. Also how do I conduct the "fast response pressure measurement method" and what type of pressure gauge is capable of conducting the test. I have a regin gauge (the one with the blue fluid) and also the Telegan Analyers with the digital pressure gauge. Wheen you talk about the slugish regulator I assume you mean the multifunctional valve regulator (please confirm).

The kingfisher 2 has the 820 SIT Nova gas valve.

If you would prefer to e-mail me directly my e-mail is blueflameappliances (at-sign) yahoo.co.uk

Kind regards

Harry

Hve you got the Mk II 41-607-19 or the Mk 2 41-607-09 later model.

Anyways, Problem is pilot flame (adjust) pilot assembly if distorted, thermo conection (loose/clean)

External air turbulance.

Sponsored Links
To measure the fast response inlet gas pressure you need a water "U" gauge and a low resistance measurement path.

The best way to achieve the latter is to completely remove the screw in the inlet test point.

However I dont think that is the cause because of the 25 sec drop out time. However what is the working pressure with boiler on?

Most likely to be the main burner drawing the pilot light off the TC, perhaps as a result of an air leak into the burner?

This is less likely to happen if the burner pressure is reduced so you could always test it over a period of time.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I have sent you a e-mail.

Hi doitall,

I have the Mk II 41-607-19 version. I have checked the pilot flame it envelopes the thermocouple tip as required. I have also changed the thermocouple (although the old one appeared ok) nas mentioned the connection point of thermocouple to mult-functional valve seems ok (visually).

Thank you for your reply.

Kind regards

Harry.

Would appreciate knowing what this turns out to be. Poor t/c connection inside the gas valve perhaps.
Is the pilot "soft"? Side air hole blocked in injector? (Wind?)

Hi ChrisR,

When I cleaned the pilot injector during the service, I never noticed a side air hole in the injector (Did I miss it?). I think all the pilot flames on the older conventional boilers look a little soft.

Unfortunately the customer is away for a few weeks so I will be unable to conduct any further tests.

if in the meantime you come up with any other suggestions they will be gratefully received. I did talk to potterton but they just mentioned the usual thermocouple checks.

Kind Regards

Harry.

look outside where the flue is, (if you're are sure the pilot/assembly is ok), for obstructions that will cause wind turbulance when in a certain direction.

Common with this boiler

Sorry it was just a suggestion, I know I've missed side holes but I can't remember if this one would have them. namsag would know...!
KNow what you mean about them all having soppy looking flames, main burners too.

Hi doitall,

When I first went to see the boiler the customer had put planks of wood all around the flue (about a foot away). I moved these and told him not to cause any obstructions that may cause vitiation. The flue does look clear in general but in the top outer section (air inlet) they have left the remains of a brick when they first put the boiler in. It's not very big. I'm not sure that the outer flue can be removed easily otherwise I would have removed. What do you think?

Hi ChrisR,
Thanks for your suggestion, I was genuine when I thought I may have missed it. But I am quite sure it does not have an air hole. Do you think it may be a slugish regulator like Tony was saying? The customer did say that it seems to happen when the boiler has been dormant for some time.

Thank you all for your suggestions

Harry

The boiler you have, it is common for the pilot to blow out when the winds in the wrong direction.

Saying that I had one up the club that the grey knob on the gas valve was jumping out every so often, so I stuck another in and its been ok ever since.

Hi all,

ChrisR, you wanted to know what was causing the pilot to go out. I had the Gas meter regulator changed and since then we have had no more problems. So it appears the regulator was sluggish as Tony suggested.

Kind regards

Harry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back