POTTERTON LYNX ELECTRONIC PROBLEMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
GUYS LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH SOME GOOD KNOWLEDGE ON LYNX ELECTRONICS..

Basically we have loads on a local contract and this week alone I have been to 3 seperate boilers that run for a while then stop. they run everytime im there, they run as normal then fail to relight when I leave.

IveREPLACED the SEQUENCE BOARD on 2 and still doing the same so dont want to throw these at them all so lloking for some help.

for the record all stats and thermisters etc run and controls work as normal ??

I know these have an airflow sensor and this part is now obsolete as 1 I was at today kept cutting on/off like a split in a pressure switch hose would do and Potterton call line advised either SEQUENCE Board or Sensor but asI had a new board tried this and still the same... SO NEW BOILER FOR THIS ID SAY

jUst really looking for pointers here as these things are ****ing me off and no real explination for the faults ?? How prone are the airflow sensors to failing ??

The one that was cutting on/off had 2.3 ohm resistance on a steady reading but it either fluxiated now and then to higher or I had a bad connection ( it states it should be between 1.5 and 1.8 )

Im at a loss with these just now and really without spending 2/3 hours a time in a house to get the fault its hopeless...

LYNX ELECTRONIC EXPERTS REQUIRED PLEASE

Sponsored Links
Helps if you resolder everything in sight! Last one I went to had bad joints on all the boards, mostly on the one most recently replaced.

"""fluxiated""" now thats an interesting new word!

We have spare motherboards and a spare air flow sensor in stock in case we ever go to one of these boilers.

But no one ever calls us to any !

Tony

ChrisR said:
Helps if you resolder everything in sight! Last one I went to had bad joints on all the boards, mostly on the one most recently replaced.

Housing Assosiation contract mate..if it wasnt I would do this, really cant find any reason or explination fo why they keep going faulty and it aint cheap to throw parts at them..

contract has the worst boilers around, loads of these, Puma's, lynx 2's and gloworm swiftflows...

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
"""fluxiated""" now thats an interesting new word!

We have spare motherboards and a spare air flow sensor in stock in case we ever go to one of these boilers.

But no one ever calls us to any !

Tony

excuse my grammer mate !!

how prone are the airflow sensors to going ?? is this the type of fault you would say may be the sensors ???

unfortunately these are everywhere on our contract...

The leads (yellow :?: ) to the air flow sensor can break down due to heat in the combustion chamber and this causes the symptoms you describe.

gstens baxi said:
The leads (yellow :?: ) to the air flow sensor can break down due to heat in the combustion chamber and this causes the symptoms you describe.

are yuo suggesting although they appear correct and have continuity on a multimeter test when they heat up it causes the prob ??

keep it coming..

The boards are appaling and always have been, I usually find them to be ignition (sequence) boards at fault but it could be any one of them. Is it true the air flow sensors are now obsolete?, that must be very recent. Mind you the sooner they make all the parts obsolete for the lynx and puma the better. If I were in your shoes I'd move ;)

The sensors do fail ! We have replaced them! They all failed open circuit.

If the sensor is not showing the correct resistance, the boiler will not fire up.

The sensor is based on an old cooker ignitor ( which was powered by a 1.5v battery ) with the addition of a thermistor. However the thermistor has a much higher resistance than the element and will have neglible effect. I must assume that it was a "cosmetic" component to prevent people using the cooker element as a cheaper alternative!

It was ages ago when I last saw the cooker component and I cannot remember which model it was!

Tony

Agile said:
The sensors do fail ! We have replaced them! They all failed open circuit.

If the sensor is not showing the correct resistance, the boiler will not fire up.

The sensor is based on an old cooker ignitor ( which was powered by a 1.5v battery ) with the addition of a thermistor. However the thermistor has a much higher resistance than the element and will have neglible effect. I must assume that it was a "cosmetic" component to prevent people using the cooker element as a cheaper alternative!

It was ages ago when I last saw the cooker component and I cannot remember which model it was!

Tony

kind of rules out the sensors on most but got to be the sensor as potterton suggested on the one I was at that the fault was like a split hose on an APS....

Yes. you will find the insulation is cooked to a crisp, Cold the continuity will exist as they get hotter they break down .

Have a look at what Gastens baxi is suggesting as this is quite common on lynx.

Is it true the air flow sensors are now obsolete?,

Yes. I know a boiler-breaker where I just got a couple but he doesn't do mail order. I can get things and post them but obviously I have to charge for getting, packing, invoicing and Paypal commission and can't usually go immediately.

Quite an amazing place to look in, lots of old boilers being processed. And an alarming number of newish ones. They "refurbish" just about anything too, even Vaillant Tmax Plus/Ecomax diverters and old Servowarm pump valves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back