Potterton Myson Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well wouldn't you know it the first inkling of the cold weather and the boiler starts to play up! :mad:

My Potterton Myson boiler still heats the house fine but has started to make a rather loud noise indicator all is not well. I'm trying to gather as much info as possible before i call a heating engineer to take a look who i guess will recommend a new boiler.

Anyway i'd appreciate any advice on what may be wrong with the boiler.

Here is a picture of my boiler:

View media item 83877
Here is a link to a video of my boiler and the noise it is making:

View My Video

Many thanks,

Steve[/img]

Sponsored Links
Well actually it is not a positive case pressure boiler.

But the advice is still exactly the same to put the case back on and don't use it until it has been checked by a gas reg engineer.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Depends on the length of a piece of string.

But your boiler might well be repairable. I can't view the video on my tablet so have no idea what noise it is making.

Well I would charge about £1640 for s good quality boiler.

But I expect you could get it a bit cheaper in Notts!

Tony

I still need to get this sorted before the weather turns too cold! It appears i need a new fan assembly unit.

This seems a decent price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Potterton...arden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item4ad4fd1536

With these gaskets:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POTTERTON-PRIMA-F-FAN-SEALING-GASKET-225154-NEW-/180820095582

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Potte...arden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item2a46a71b76

I have already removed the old assembly unit no problem. Straight forward job that only takes 10mins. :)[/url]

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Let me get this right: you dont heed advise when it comes to the safety of the lives of your family and neighbours but will, however, accept advise on a good price for a fan, whether thats the problem or not!

Steve, I appreciate that you are not qualified to work on boilers so you will not know this.

But the fan is part of the gas train and consequently should only be replaced by a gas registered engineer.

A DIYer should not even be opening the combustion chamber as that's part of the room sealing of the boiler.

Tony

Steve, I appreciate that you are not qualified to work on boilers so you will not know this.

But the fan is part of the gas train and consequently should only be replaced by a gas registered engineer.

A DIYer should not even be opening the combustion chamber as that's part of the room sealing of the boiler.

Tony

Its ok Tony my gas engineer is doing the work. Thanks for the concern.

Tony - a Gas Train is the term used to describe valves, governors and safety devices making up the control group supplying fuel gas to the burner.

The Fan is not part of the gas train - however it is still not for tnkering with by an incompetent (someone who has not PROVED competence is actually incompetent!) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back