Potterton Netaheat 10-16

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted my central heating system using the Potterton Neataheat 10-16 boiler myself almost 30 years ago. I realise under current regulations I cannot now do any repair work on this boiler and need to have work done by a competent person, but my question is do I try to have it repaired or do I bite the bullet and have it replaced ?
I think the fault is in the control panel - fan does not come on and boiler does not fire up despite room stat, boiler stat and clock all being set to come on. Doing the diagnostic checks listed on the manual which came with the boiler seems to indicate a suspect control panel and one of the resistors on the control panel is rather blackened as though it has suffered a fair amount of heat.

Sponsored Links
If you've got 240v at fan, then it's fan. Otherwise you're talking board replacement. Good boiler in its day. Limited parts availability nowadays though.

Sponsored Links
The netaheats were positive pressure boilers and the last thing you should be doing is taking the case off.

Im with Picasso on this one, the old fella has served you well but is indeed a positive pressure appliance and not to be messed with by those not experienced in their traits, you could make it dangerous by messing around with it

You can replace the PVB yourself but should never open the combustion chamber.

Not so efficient so not a bad idea to replace it though.

Some parts may have a second hand value!

Tony

You can replace the PVB yourself but should never open the combustion chamber.

Not so efficient so not a bad idea to replace it though.

Some parts may have a second hand value!

Tony

Sorry Tony but the OP has already stated that he has measured 24V at the fan so he has already disturbed the seal so it should be checked to ensure safe operation, yes he may have installed it himself all those years ago but that doesnt mean that it is operating safely now

As he stated that he knew he could not do repair work I had hoped that he would have measured the voltage to fan on the PCB.

If he has opened the CC, then if it is to be repaired, he needs it done by an RGI.

Remember its not working at the moment.

Long may it remain so if he is opening the CC himself!

Tony

Any repairs were always going to be carried out by an RGI so I didn't see any problem opening the case (it can't give off CO if it's not burning !)
The general opinion seem to support my first thoughts (fears !) - I need to replace it. Any recommendations (3 bedroom, 2 storey semi detached house, heating system has 8 radiators and hot water is on a different zone valve)

I have this feeling that if you had seen a solution to make it work inside that you would have completed the repair yourself!

Or put another way why would you have spent £84 calling an RGI if you could have refitted a loose wire or something simple?

I think I have a new spare PCB for that boiler as well as a used gas valve too!

Tony

Errr its not behind the cover mate. Not the sealed combustion chamber cover anyway ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back