Potterton Netaheat Ignition Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please Help. This morning my Central Heating & Hot Water packed up. (One very unhappy Wife & 2 cold children !!)
I have checked all common areas, pump, fan, pilot etc, and all are working perfectly.
When the Boiler (Potterton Netaheat 10/16) used to start it made two slightly annoying but confirming clicks. The first ignited the pilot light in the boiler, the second ignited the main gas burner.
I am now only getting the first click which ignites the pilot, but not the second stage.
I have just had a plumber in, and he says it is an electrical fault to the boiler (Multimeter check says there are 310 Volts in to boiler !!)
He cannot do anything until the voltage is bought down to 230 V, so i am stuck.
System has been working fine up until today, so i would have thought that it was more a boiler problem, rather than a suspect 310 V power problem.
Anyway, where would i get 310 V from ??. I do not have three phase electric, only normal household (220-240 V).
I would be grateful for any comments.

Sponsored Links
relay usually .....http://www.mjtcontrols.co.uk/Appliance_GC1.aspx and search gc no 4160134. Don't play with anything else on this boiler though get a pro.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Kevplumb. I have already changed the Ignition Electrode, Lead & Earth Plate, but still no second stage click (Burner Ignition).

This unit does not have a relay as far as i can see Ollski. It is an early Netaheat unit.

The pilot is there, i just cannot get the main burner to ignite.

I have had a pro in to change the electrode etc, but he cannot figure it out.

If it's the same "pro" who doesn't know how to use a meter so tells you there's 310 volts, you need a different pro!

the potterton 10/16 has a plug in relay on the board.....as far as I know if there isn't a clear square relay box there it won't be a 10/16. check the gc number for us.

Thanks Ollski.
I have checked and all i can see on the unit is GUK 1 06243.
This is on a sticker on the side of the main body of the boiler.
I have looked at the link site for mjtcontrols you kindly advised, and it looks like i may have the Netaheat Electronic 10/16. (GC 41-601-67).

A regular problem I have with my potterton netaheat 16-22 is corrosion of the spark earthing bracket. I replace it every year. My new one installed 6 weeks ago keeps building up a deposit of carbon which eventually prevents a spark. Any ideas anyone?

sorry yes, the electronic bit at the end makes it a different story....it is probably the solenoid gone ....have you got a multimeter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back