Potterton Netaheat keeps switching on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have an ancient old Potterton Netaheat boiler which has served us well. I've just switched it back on after Summer to make sure it's good to go when needed, only to find there's a problem.

The problem is that irrespective of the controller (Siemens RWB9) being set to off for both HW & CH and the central room thermostat being set to off, the pump hums away and fires the boiler up every 10 mins or so, runs for 5 mins then switches itself off.

If the controller is set to on, everything seems to be working fine.

From what I've gleaned from this forum and others, it could be the PCB. I've had a look and the capacitors (usual suspects) look ok and the soldering looks sound. I'm also wondering whether the controller is teh culprit as it does do some odd things like when the CH is advanced for 1 hour, the HW light comes an as well. I've reset it to no avail.

So any thoughts/advice most gratefully received,

Cheers,

Pete

Sponsored Links
The boiler is fine!

You have a fault with the controller or the controls.

Boiler overdue to replacement and only about 55% efficient compared with over 90% for modern boilers.

Tony

In the same way that a 100 year old bicycle is still working but a 10 year old car has been scrapped!

But most people want a new car rather than riding a bike!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony,

Many thanks for the advice. I'll see about sourcing a replacement.

She's an old boiler for sure but money to short in supply right now, so will have to keep the old girl in harness for a while yet.

One observation though. I've tried removing the controller altogether and still the boiler fires up or is that a bit of a red herring?

Cheers,

Pete

Tony,

Many thanks for the advice. I'll see about sourcing a replacement.

She's an old boiler for sure but money to short in supply right now, so will have to keep the old girl in harness for a while yet.

One observation though. I've tried removing the controller altogether and still the boiler fires up or is that a bit of a red herring?

Cheers,

Pete

i would be looking at the motorised valves first

Dont change the boiler as bingo has indicated its a stuck microswitch in one of your motorised valves

[/quote]

and will prob still be going when the "modern" boilers are sitting in a dumpster :eek:[/quote]

Absolutely right - The Potterton Netaheat is a reliable old workhorse - bog standard parts. I have one ( as does almost everyone else in my estate ) and I won't be replacing it any time soon. ;)

Tell me what other domestic boiler uses a mercury vapour gas valve , what other boiler the board fits / the heat exchanger etc etc.

You could say the same thing about the specific parts for almost any boiler - My point is that the Netaheat uses proven, robust and reliable parts - Unlike some so-called "contemporary" boilers where you'd be lucky if the MCB doesn't pack up within the first year...

This applies to some of the recent Potterton boilers, - You don't see too many Netaheats featuring on Watchdog . ;)

Proven parts are not the same as bog standard.
And your experience with boilers is what?

You could say the same thing about the specific parts for almost any boiler -

I dont think you can know much about many boilers!

From 1994-2004 there are few parts that are not common to most boilers from Alpha, Baxi, Biasi, Halstead, Potterton, Sime etc.

I cannot think of any part in a Netaheat which has ever been used in another boiler!

Yes, solid, reliable and inefficient! Like a Ford 100E !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back