Potterton Netaheat mk2 - PCB fuse blowing - help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went away for a few days and turned off the central heating and hot water on the controller. I came back and turned it on again - I didn't bother to wait to hear the boiler re-ignite. The next morning there was no hot water. Upon investigation I found the PCB fuse was blown. After a 16 mile roundtrip to get a couple of new fuses I changed it and turned on the boiler and the fuse blew straight away.

I phoned up the CORGI plumber who services the boiler and he said 'no mate can't touch it, its electronics', so I tried to get an electrician to come round. When he saw that it was the fuse on the PCB not in the main switch he turned around and said 'no mate can't touch it, its on the boiler itself' and went away (luckily he didn't charge me!). I've just spent 2 hours on the phone calling CORGI registered boiler service and repair companies and most are not interested as they don't do electronics. Others say they can change the whole PCB, some have gone as far as saying "new boiler mate".

Now I know the boiler is old but it has been running for years and has been regularly serviced and can't be that difficult to check and repair an electrical fault. So I phoned up the place where I bought the fuse and asked if they knew anyone who could look at it. He didn't but told me that he had never ever sold a PCB for the Netaheat however had sold lots of the plug in relays - so suggested this could be the fault. Does anyone know how to check where the fault lies so I don't have to fork out money for a new relay (£33+VAT) only to find that is not at fault then fork out for a PCB (£85+VAT)?

Cheers
Milind

Sponsored Links
I really would leave this in the hands of a competent engineer, sounds like the companies you are calling are only interested in selling you a new boiler. You may want to consider the option of getting a certain well known national company in, they are quite expensive and more than likely will recommend a new boiler but at least they'll fix the problem first.

As for possible causes of the fuse blowing, they could range from an external electrical fault (which hopefully your spark was able to rule out), the fan or gas valve. again you really should get a competent engineer to look at it for you.

Sorry to be a bit of a spoilsport but if your not sure the golden rule is leave it well alone. (In the end it'll cost you more) :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice. My spark didn't check anything when he came - but no other house fuses have blown. Looks like I'll have to call that well known national company, though I'll wait a few hours as I've still got some local people who I've left messages for who I hope will call me back soon.
Cheers
Milind

Sponsored Links
Obviously you could unplug the relay and see if it still blows a fuse. You must have thought of that though....?

The boiler would fail to operate so this would give a false diagnosis as it may be due to a faulty component which would only trip the fuse when power is applied to it (ie fan and gas valve)

phone the big natonal company, £144 all parts and labour included :)

penpusher said:
The boiler would fail to operate so this would give a false diagnosis as it may be due to a faulty component which would only trip the fuse when power is applied to it (ie fan and gas valve)

Narrows it down though dont it?

Better to call ChrisR ( above ), he has even got one at home and lives close to you. Budget for more that £33 though, he has a van and family to support !

Any competent boiler engineer will be comfortable with electronics, thats what modern boilers work on! Not that the Potty netaheat is a very modern boiler though!

Tony Glazier

Although ChrisR has a van and family to feed, I would have expected him to be cheaper than £229.

Tony

Oh I don't worry about money, if I need some I ask my wife if she'll let me have some.
Bit worried about the other part of your post though Tony - you aren't usually wrong. What's this "family" you mention?

Its the wife you ask for money to subsidise the plumbing work! Oh yes and your new Part P Megger!

Did you get the £599 full scope instrument?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back