Potterton Oil boiler overheat puzzle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton oil boiler that goes onto overheat every few hours. I can't understand why.... however I think it may be due to the pump not circulating the water - I have recently moved the boiler and added about 5m of pipes to do so. The clues are....

1) The pipes near the boiler do get very hot - i.e. you can't touch them
2) The thermostat on the tank (water thermo stat) doesn't seem to change the temp of the hot water - but that may not be true.
3) the boiler stat on the front of the boiler clicks on and off ok. However, I did notice that when off it only clicks on almost all the way around.

Two plumbers have looked at it - one said it was wired up incorrectly - but if so why has it worked ok for 6 years? The other said it may be the pump but didn't really know.

If any one can help I would be much appreciated. I have a very cold house at the moment and a new born baby!

I am based in Manley, Chester if anybody is near and would want to help out.

Many thanks

Nigel Danson

Sponsored Links
try boiler stat. this oftens fails, allowing temp to rise and go to limit stat.
although i notice in pottys fault finding guide ..if limit stat trips...err replace limit stat. youd think they would know betterer. :cry:

yes. hi limit will go at 85 deg c ish..

we are talkin that you are re-setting the limit stat? arent we sunbeam???

Sponsored Links
Yes - the red overheat light comes on on the oil boiler and I have to manually reset it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back