Potterton parforma 24 - having 'issues'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdo all!

Thanks for having a look and hopefully pointing me in the right direction.

Have the potterton performa 24, mechanical clock.
A few couple of weeks ago, the temperature control on the heating side stopped working, the rads were permanently at max temp and the boiler almost continually cycling on/off to maintain the temp. I assumed it would just be the temp sensor and an easy fix. So to counter this temporally, I set the clock to only operate the boiler in 15 min intervals on, 45 mins off.

This was working ok until late last week. After running the hot water, the heating side would kick straight in for a random time period, 30 seconds to a few minutes. This despite the timer being off and no heating required. Over a few days, the periods grew steadily longer to the point were it was heating permanently.
The heating will not shut off if the boiler switch is set to DHW only and the pump runs continuously, even when hot water is called for at the tap. The hot water still functions fine.
The reset on the switch also has no effect either. The only way to turn the heating off, is to have the boiler turned off. Luckily it's in the kitchen.

Having done some reading, I then suspected the microswitch. I'v had a mess about with it and it seems to be working fine. The diverter pin pops in and out normally and operates the switch, which doesn't seem to be sticking. I've given it a dose of WD40 and a good wiggle, but made absolutely no difference.

I've already ordered a new microswitch and temp sensor as they're only a few quid, but I don't expect them to arrive untill after the bank holiday weekend now.

Given the symptoms now, do you think it could be something else? I thought it could possibly be the PCB. Found a recon with 12 months warranty for £50 delivered.

At least for now, we still have heat and hot water!

Thanks in advance,

Gareth

Sponsored Links
The microswitch has electrically failed. Keeps the boiler on as a DHW demand.

They are not man enough for the job!

As a spare part a bit fiddly to change as they come with half the wiring harness.

Some just change the switch and use a choc block to connect the wires.

Avoid those repaired PCBs. They are not manufacturer approved and thus illegal for a gas reg to use.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back