Potterton Surprima Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Potterton Surprima 50l is our boiler

We were using it fine last night & then switched the heating off.

All night the pump or something was still going - as it usually does for 20 mins after switching the heating off.

Today unable to switch the heating on but all the usual lights are present on the boiler.

I have noticed the temp light on the boiler is red constantly

anyone any ideas what could be cauing the issue?

Thanks

G

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies - Ill try to find an engineer in the morning.

I have beld the system & pump - both did not have much air.
I did try to drain the system & a little gunge came out but they system still wont work

ta

G

Sponsored Links
yep - the reset button, but it just keeps flashing red & turned the thermostat up too

thanks

G

Is there water in the small tank in loft - or a reading of about 1bar on the pressure gauge.

I did hear the water running after I had drained the system so I think thats OK

I cant find a gauge of any sort.
The boiler is in the Kitchen & the pum, hot tank & more electrics are upstairs, but no gauge.

Its at least 5 years old as it was ll in when we moved here - but some of the pipes look very old upstairs

G

I did hear the water running after I had drained the system so I think thats OK

I cant find a gauge of any sort.
The boiler is in the Kitchen & the pum, hot tank & more electrics are upstairs, but no gauge.

Its at least 5 years old as it was ll in when we moved here - but some of the pipes look very old upstairs

G

when did you drain the system?

this afternoon - after the problem started

ta

G

Yes but have you followed Kevs suggestion. It'll have gone to lockout so press reset. It may cure it on a temporary basis but it's a suprima and they have had many many problems, 99% are pcb related.
Sorry just seen it! you did press reset.

Thanks for everyones helps

Got the engineer out today & he tells me the electric kit on these boilers is well known for issues, been on watchdog Im told as they were ised of old council houses

Everything else seems ok but we need a new electric kit - he told me they ae £250 but its cheaper to get the fixed price job from british Gas

Just waiting ont hem turning up
but I really hate using them

G

I did try to drain the system & a little gunge came out but they system still wont work

G

When you may have a pressure issue, the last thing anyone should do is to drain the system.

Its like having a rather flat tyre and letting the last of the air out! You then find the stupid garage air pumps dont like inflating a totally flat tyre.

Very honest plumber you have had to advise using the British Gas fixed price repair. Trouble is after already coming out to see you he has spent some time.

In these cases I advise the client of the likely faults and the BG solution and if they still want me to come I replace it for about £257 which is about £75 more than BG charge. But then sometimes its not the PCB and a much cheaper solution. Last one was a misplaced ignition electrode!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back