Potterton Suprima bolier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I too have a problem with my Potterton Suprima 50L, but unlike those listed by BBC Watchdog viewers, mine won;t switch off! The controller time setting may be comanding OFF, the roomstat may be set low, the central heating switch may be OFF, even the controller itself may be OFF, yet I can come in from work and find the house stifflingly hot, with the boiler and pump running continuously, effectively throwing £20 notes out of the flue. The only thing that works is switching the boiler off at the mains. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if the controls have a fault.

Unless you have electrical diagnostical experience and test equipment its unlikely you will be able to do anything yourself.

If you were competent to do it safely then you could disconnect the SW live into the boiler to confirm it then goes off.

Tony

Start by looking at the motorised valve this is possibly jammed in th open position activating microswitch inside which gives power to the boiler

It probably is the 3-port valve that is failed and allowing hot water to be pumped through the radiators. I've just had BG back to replace one that failed only a month after being installed.

The boiler is trying to heat the water assuming that the water is being circulated through the cylinder only - but as its going round the house it will be cooling down and hence will take longer to reach the store temperature and turn off (if at all).

Sponsored Links
Agree with 3 port valve diagnosis, but don't forget that pump is controlled by boiler pcb via 'pump live'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back