Potterton perfoma 24 he

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
very new to this just signed up today but got some good info in the past and am here to help if I can got 25 years in the building game from small works upto project manager for one of the UK's biggist house builders now working for myself after being made redundent 2 years ago im from a plumbing background but also trained and have a good knowledge across the board but this boiler has beaten me tried all the fault finding digrams been back to front but this problem comes and gos boiler lights go's out sometimes after 10 mins sometimes arfter 10 seconds fan keeps running boiler lights again checked all the normal APS micro switches fan pump thermostats, changed the flame sensor and lead had this problem on a Main 24 HE same boiler diff badge but still the same problem a intermittant fault screw the front on and it wont fire at all drop the front and sometimes it will fire ask call for heating and it fires up turn thermostat too off demand hot water and boiler fires back up then cuts out 1 of the fault finding charts says check for 230v between terminals 37 and 38 on the pcb ony get 205v 206v there not 230v but cant find out flame failaure light comes on and stays on when boiler shuts down HELP im baffaled

Sponsored Links
It might be a failing aps but to be honest , your post is very difficult to read/understand, any chance of reposting with the faults/symptoms a bit clearer.

ta ;)

Punctuation is the key lol.

On this boiler there is a small copper tube that connects to the right side of the combustion box.

Try removing said pipe and make sure its clear.

Of cause only if your Gas Safe Registered

HTH Dave

Puncuation ? Knowing the boiler is the key !

Small copper tube ?

Are you mental :?:

Sponsored Links
These may help. .,?-!";: I'd try one or two of the first to begin with.
Panda. Eats, shoots and leaves!

Thanks for your reply
I will start with the problem and then list what I have done

1 boiler power off at fused spur

2 Turn boiler power on flashing red light on slow flashing I would say turn reset button to the left 5 seconds red light gos out take finger off reset button red light comes back on

3 Turn hot tap on hear pump fan diverter valve micro switches then gas valve opens you hear the spark boiler fires up after sometimes 30 sec some times in 2mins but not every time the boiler gos out and re ignites in a sec or 2 then will run for 10 mins no problem. turn tap off and wait for fan overrun to stop turn hot tap back on boiler wont fire all the time the boiler is on standby waiting for a call for heat the flame failure light is flashing

its a intermittent fault try the hot tap 10 times works every time try it again after 2 mins and boiler wont fire up I had a problem exactly the same on a main 28 he and looking at the boiler its the same just diff badge I went thro the same process and found it to be the twin electrode lead that was failing and the fault finding also suggests this so on the main changed the lead and problem went away happy customer on the potterton changed the same lead as well as flame sensor electrode boiler fired up 10 mins then went off again

I have done all electrical tests as per fault finding chart and apart from 1 check that during the start up sequence you check is for a voltage across terminals 37 and 38 on the PCB it should be 230v I am only getting 202v 204v when the boiler has fired up on the megger multi meter and when boiler wont fire up it tests at about 6v tested all stats all giving the right readings APS checked it as far as I can you did say poss a failing APS would it operate 10 times and fail on the 11th ? flue is clear no obstructions condense clear fan is free running pump is free running all micro switches are working as without demand trip the switch and start up seq begins

I have been thro the fault finding section back to front several times I know people have had lots of problems with the PCB some people are on there 4th board with these boilers and i have said to the customer that a PCB is not £20 part and none returnable potterton cant give me a answer spent over a hour on the phone to them all they were after was a fixed price repair @ £280.00 plus vat but when I told them it was 5 years old they were not so keen i hope this is a bit clearer
Regards alfie boy

I think I know what it might be but sorry, it's a gas thing. We quite rightly get our knuckles rapped if we give gas advice .

By the way I think you have a 24 Eco not a 24i ?

I think I know what it might be but sorry, it's a gas thing. We quite rightly get our knuckles rapped if we give gas advice .

By the way I think you have a 24 Eco not a 24i ?
hi it is a 24 eco
regards steve

hi took the APS out checked it with the meter there are 3 lugs on the micro switch C N/Open N/Closed brown wire on C blue wire on NO when checked with a meter on C and NO there is no continuity when micro switch activated only problem was my local supplier out of stock till the morning
Regards steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back