Potterton Performa 24 Combi Boiler Problem. Microwsitch???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

First of all, great forum,

I was wondering whether you can help me please, l have a Potterton Combi Boiler - Performa 24

I’ve recently moved into a new house and have found that the Potterton Performa 24 isn’t working as it should be. My boiler decides to come on when it pleases (burner on neon light), this can be every few minutes, then switches off, then the burner light comes on again

It doesn't work with any settings i.e. from the timer or thermostat

Its in a constant loop of turning on the burner and then switching off again

The Flame Failure light does not appear.

The radiators do get hot as does the water. When I turn on the hot water, the pin extracts from the DHW Pressure valve (connects with the microswitch) and it goes back in when the hot water is turned off.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Andy.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply Namsag.

Do you know how I'll be able to check if its stuck?

With the boiler resting, pull the lever of the microswitch towards the front of the boiler.

That should bring on the burner and heat up the rads.

The burner should go off promptly when the lever is released!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony.

I tried that and it didn't seem to effect the control of the boiler, it would still start and stop the burner every 10 secs regardless if I was touching the microswitch lever. If I turn on the sink hot water tap, the pin comes out of the DHW Pressure Differential Valve and pushes the thin metal lever that’s connected to the Microswitch Bracket (the lever I think you mentioned) and that then starts the burner continuously like I think it should. As soon as I turn off the tap, the pin goes back in and it starts doing the burner off and on every ten secs routine! Me manually controlling the lever has no effect unfortunately and the boiler burner still keeps restarting every ten secs. Any other ideas I could check out?

Thanks, Andy

Microswitch has failed.

It comes with half of the boiler's wiring harness which adds to the time and adds considerable complexity for a DIYer.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

It sounds like a job for an engineer, I was thinking of having a go at changing it myself because it looks like small component with one screw holding it but I now notice it’s wired into the PCB too.

Thanks for all your replies.

Andy.

I hate to say it but it would be possible to cut the three wires and just replace the switch part using a connector block.

Needless to say no professional would ever do that, I have never done it and I have never seen any boiler that anyone else has done that to either.

Tony

That’s a good point; I don't see why that wouldn't work. I've been searching for a microswitch for the Potterton Performa 24 Combi Boiler but have no luck finding one, or for that model anyway. Any chance you know of any decent websites could supply the part?

Cheers, Andy

I hate to say it but it would be possible to cut the three wires and just replace the switch part using a connector block.

Needless to say no professional would ever do that, I have never done it and I have never seen any boiler that anyone else has done that to either.

Tony

Use crimps you pillock.

Hi Andy,

We are also having the same problem with our Performa 24.
We have ordered a new Microswith from boilersparesdirect.co.uk
It is called a pressure switch but the part number is the same as in the user manual.

Hope this helps you,and us because we are freezing and desperate. We had a corgi guy out for a total of 6 days and ended up telling him to leave it because of the cost.
So we now have our fingers crossed that this switch does the job! :D

Please let me know how you get on :D

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the website address, that is a big help. From hearing your dilemma with the Corgi guy, it encourages me more do try and fix it myself! Hope you have some luck with the switch also. I’ll post the outcome of it. Cheers

Tony

You ain't followed me then :LOL:

I can't remember if its the one we are talking about here but there is a hw microswitch on one of the Baxi/Poti that requires you to nearly friggin rewire the boiler.

Forget that...connectors and crimping tool for me.

;)

Give it a spray with wd 40 and a couple of flicks with small screw driver this sometimes frees it

Part No. 248207 Cable - Selector Switch/Pump

SharonD is confusing this switch with the APS. I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back