Potterton -Performa 24 - Keeps coming on - Micro-Switch Prob

Tony,

The Engineer has just called and has stated that he must change the Mircoswitch before considering that the main board is knackered.

I have not much experience with boilers to be honest, but thanks with your comments to look at the microswitch

He is on his way in the next hour, so will keep you updated,

thanks,
C

Sponsored Links
You should have followed my advice a few days ago and it would have been sorted out sooner!

Its nice to see that this latest fellow was keen to properly diagnose the fault rather than just changing the expensive PCB. ( Or maybe he reads this forum and knew he could not get away with it ??? )

At least its sorted out at a reasonable cost now. Thanks for confirming the fix.

Tony

thanks Tony,

Yep, l should have followed your advice and not assume that the pcb was at fault.

But lm pretty sure the guy rang for support first, as he turned up with the Micro-switch

Job done and it all works,

All you guys know your stuff on this forum, its a shame that lm just a beginner on boilers, but least l have learned a few things,

cheers
C.

Sponsored Links
has the pin retracted back into the pressure differental valve ie not in contact with the micro switch assy.
microswitch [3 wire] in front of diverter valve,this can fail and power up the boiler.
a little more info please.
sounds like an easy fix.
see pic on www.partsarena.com/baxi/
muddle through to find your boiler preforma 24.
page 42.part key 103 shows micro switch removed and pin retracted is your pin retracted ?

Hi,

I think I am having this problem with my microswitch on the performa 24. The pin retracts fine when hot water is turned off but the burner is still going, playing around with the switch it will switch off. So I assume this is the problem. Just rang my local supplier and have been told its £17 +VAT. Is this a fairley simple job of just replacing the switch. I have looked at the wiring loom and can see where it needs to go, just wanted to check if there was anything I should be aware off before attempting to replace the microswitch.

Thanks in advance

Its a common fault for the switch to fail.

Its quite a procedure to change it as it includes half the wiring harness.

Some people just connect the switch with a choc block although thats not really correct but it removes the risk of damaging the PCB !

Tony

Thanks for the reply, your right thw wiring loom looks v dauting, i think i will give it a go, slowly. thanks again

Thanks for this - I have the same problem - just ordered a new microswitch for £6.49 on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190633222699

I confirmed it was the microswitch by giving it a tap - this was enough to stop the boiler randomly firing up.

I can't comment too much as yet but it looks like the existing wiring can be pulled out of the old switch and inserted into the new one - therefore avoiding the need to touch the PCB. I'm saying this but I haven’t tried it yet :p

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I can't comment too much as yet but it looks like the existing wiring can be pulled out of the old switch and inserted into the new one - therefore avoiding the need to touch the PCB. I'm saying this but I haven’t tried it yet

Good luck with that :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You should have followed my advice a few days ago and it would have been sorted out sooner!

Its nice to see that this latest fellow was keen to properly diagnose the fault rather than just changing the expensive PCB. ( Or maybe he reads this forum and knew he could not get away with it ??? )

At least its sorted out at a reasonable cost now. Thanks for confirming the fix.

Tony

====================================
Hi Tony,

I wonder if you could help please.

I am having a problem of Potterton Performa 24:
The boiler is turning on ALL the time. i.e.:the CH is always on and I cannot control the boiler with all the Control buttons on the front panel , apart from turning the power off.

Would it be the same problem of the Microswitch?

and I can see that there are 2 different Micro-switches you mentioned in this and wonder which one is correct for this fault?
I can see on eBay these 2 Micro Switches and

which one below is correct?

The microswitch on top of the Valve - 3 way Assembly (Part 130 of http://www.partsarena.com/baxi/):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200735647...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2348wt_702

or the DHW microswitch on the Pressure Differential Assembly (Part 103)

Thanks.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Its the micro switch at the front facing you (pressure diff valve)

Many Thanks gas112.

I'll order this microswitch and replace the old one and find out if it solves the boiler Constantly-ON problem.

Many Thanks gas112.

I'll order this microswitch and replace the old one and find out if it solves the boiler Constantly-ON problem.

Hi,

I've just been to PartCentre to order the Micro-Switch BUT they cannot find this part as it is not shown on the BAXI pictures!!!!!
Pictures on BAXI only shown the DHW Pressure Differential Valve, not the microswitch.

Does anyone know the Part Number for this DHW MicroSwitch?

Many Thanks.

Its a common fault for the switch to fail.

Its quite a procedure to change it as it includes half the wiring harness.

Some people just connect the switch with a choc block although thats not really correct but it removes the risk of damaging the PCB !

Tony

Hi Tony,

I am having problem of getting the DHW Micro Switch.
Do you know the Part Number for this DHW MicroSwitch?

Many Thanks.

www.partsarena.com/baxi

You will find the drawings and part numbers here , they are on the plumbcentre graphics as i ordered one the other week picture is away from the diff valve .
Might be in the wiring harness section

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back