potterton performa 24 fan turns one half turn only.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there.

i have a potterton performa 24 about 9 yrs old. not a condensing boiler.
recently it stopped firing up for hw and ch.
local corgi guy came round to fix it and said he would come back with the parts to fix it.
he didnt seem to know exactly which part is at fault.
the boiler seems to make all the normal noises when started until it gets to the fan. the fan turns about half a turn, then it stops.
pump and thermistor is fairly new.
does anyone know which part is at fault.
he said it could be one of many parts. pressure switch, pcb, fan, etc etc.
im a bit worried he will change many parts before finding the culprit part.
is that normal or should he be able to find out which part or parts are at fault before changing them..?
thanks for any replies

albert

Sponsored Links
He is evidently what we call parts changers!

You should NOT have to pay for his incompetence! But for reasons that I dont understand many do!

The fan can be easily tested by powering it from another source!

I have always found that to be a PCB fault but I have not seen your boiler let alone visited you to diagnose the problem.

DIYers should NOT open the combustion chamber where the fan is located and on these boilers should NOT change the PCB as they have gas settings which need to be adjusted when a new PCB is fitted.

Tony

He is evidently what we call parts changers!

You should NOT have to pay for his incompetence! But for reasons that I dont understand many do!

The fan can be easily tested by powering it from another source!

I have always found that to be a PCB fault but I have not seen your boiler let alone visited you to diagnose the problem.

DIYers should NOT open the combustion chamber where the fan is located and on these boilers should NOT change the PCB as they have gas settings which need to be adjusted when a new PCB is fitted.

Tony

thanks tony
this means that there is a big chance that the corgi guy may not know how to check the gas settings. if he changes the pcb, how can i tell if he does know how to adjust gas settings. you sound like you know how to do this job, roughly how much would you charge for doing it. im in tw2 area.

Sponsored Links
If your guy is gas registered ( an RGI ) then he is expected to be qualified to do the settings. Many dont know how to do these settings though! Others wrongly imagine they come ready set which is not the case.

I am not really meant to discuss charges on the open forum ( although there is no reason why anyone should not unless they were obviously effectively advertising by quoting exceptionally low prices ).

All I can probably say is that most reasonably priced RGIs would probably charge less than £100 plus the cost of the parts required ( which might not be the PCB anyway ).

You need to contact me directly if you wanted to discuss that further.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back