Potterton Performa 24 not igniting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My performa 24 combi refuses to fire up when CH/DHW is demanded. I have been through the fault finding in the manual but it hasn't helped-
DHW for example:
pressure switch operates diaphragm OK
microswitch provides 230V
pump runs
fan runs
air pressure switch provides 230V
ignitor does NOT receive 230V.

However, I have replaced PCB (according to manual) with same result.

Over-temp thermistor hasn't tripped, correct resistance from temp sensor, correct DC volts to gas valve.

Any ideas?

If I provide 230V to the ignitor the system works OK, but requires ignitor to be on constantly to sustain the burner - is this correct behaviour? has the flame-sensing electrode gone, what voltage should I see on it when burner is lit?

Really appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I think there is a manually reset o/h stat on the flow pipe on the left. Its a switch not sensor. Have you checked its continuity?

You clearly have enough electronics experience and in fact more than most people fixing boilers. However, I am unable to give you the help you need on an open forum as we are not permitted to give advice on DIY gas work. In fact you have already exceeded the access to combustion/safety components.

In your case ( only ) I might be prepared to give you some suggestions if you called me from in front of the boiler.

Tony

Thats a good point often forgotten by professionals alike. Even though its in the instructions with the new pcb which are of course designed to be thrown away without reading.

A professional however, knows that its necessary to turn to the reset position and hold it there for about a minute rather than the few seconds mentioned in the instructions.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for reply.

I think there is a manually reset o/h stat on the flow pipe on the left. Its a switch not sensor. Have you checked its continuity?

Yes there is continuity across this switch.

Thats a good point often forgotten by professionals alike. Even though its in the instructions with the new pcb which are of course designed to be thrown away without reading.

A professional however, knows that its necessary to turn to the reset position and hold it there for about a minute rather than the few seconds mentioned in the instructions.

Tony

OK,

thanks for that. Held against reset for 1 minute but no change to symptoms.

In your case ( only ) I might be prepared to give you some suggestions if you called me from in front of the boiler.

Tony

Tony,

Thank you for your help so far.

If you consent to advice over the phone, please let me know when is convenient for you (think you can pm me if you accept friend request, or reply).

If not, I understand why and no hard feeling.

Daniel.

Look at my profile for tel number.

I cannot say what I am doing at any time of day so wait until its convenient for you and try a call. Dont leave any voice message.

Tony

Thanks to Agile for help.

Turns out the venturi in the flue was distorted through heat, thus not allowing pressure differential to activate air switch. Engineer hadn't seen this before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back