Potterton Performa 28 - Leaking Diverter Valve Front Section

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler has recently started leaking water from what looks like the DHW Pressure Differential Valve (part name according to the boiler manual).
I've opened the boiler up and it appears that the valve where the pin comes out to touch the microswitch is leaking water. It looks like the water is coming out from the pin hole.

Is this a common issue and do I just need to replace the valve - https://www.heatingspares247.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=269.

Also is this something a relatively inexperienced person can take on or does this really need someone who knows what they are doing?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Easy enough. Turn off iso underneath boiler on cold water in. Drain boiler and replace.....it's usually only the rubber grommet thats gone but sometimes rust pits the pin and you can't prevent leaks just changing the seal. Replace with the whole unit and you should be fine

If you get the printed circuit board wet, it'll cost you an additional £100!

If its only the front seal leaking there is normally only that part to replace but do clean the pin with wire wool and grease it with silicone.

To do that you dont need to drain the heating circuit and only have to turn off cold water in, release pressure from a hot tap and remove the microswitch bracket after turning of the mains supply.

Tony

Sponsored Links
As said it is only the the small center fitting that needs replacing, but for the sake of about another £6 I would replace the diaphragm inside as well at the same time.

Although a lot more expensive, the Alpha 240/80 diapragm kit includes all the components you will need to do the job, including a small tube of grease ;)

Diaphragm and gland nut kit (the bit thats leaking) 16 quid, ten minute fix and its all in book that comes with boiler

I know it's an old post but I've got exactly the same problem only I've replaced the whole valve, just wondered how you got on?

S-Mic,

His problem was only a leaking gland.

Yours is a jammed manifold section!

I did not think you had replaced the whole valve either just the differential flow actuator.

Tony

Hi guys,

I have a leaky glad nut on my Potterton 24 he eco boiler. It was replaced with the whole kit about 1 1/2 years ago but has begun to leak again.

I am reluctant to pay for someone to replace this again. I have bought the kit again and would like to have a go myself.

I was planning on not replacing the diaphragm only the minimum necessary.

If someone has time could they set out the steps for me please to do this. I am thinking just the minimum first ideally so I don't have to drain the system.

Thanks
Paul

You have already been told in the other thread its as simple as that

OK thanks. I thought it was more difficult than that.

So the steps are.

Turn cold feed off. Once I work out which one that is??
Run hot tap until no more water comes out.
Take micro switch off and replace nut and o ring etc.

I think I tried the last time but couldn't work out which pipe was the cold feed.

Also with it drained via the tap should i expect to get much water come out once I remove the but?

Apologies for the stupid questions.

Thanks
Paul

Right hand side The cold feed is the 15mm pipe second in on jig and after tap has been opened when you take nut off you will only get a drip if that.

Or just turn water off at main stop cock

Hi guys,

Just to let you know I managed this fine and the boiler isn't leaking anymore.

Just one other question. Can you just purchase the little black o ring as I bought the full kit. It was only a 10 pound but the actual gland nut didn't look like it needed replacing.

Cheers

As far as I recall, the gland is manufactured and its not possible to change the ring inside.

As its less than £10 I don't see much point in changing it anyway.

If you don't clean the pin it will leak soon afterwards.

Tony

Tony,

You were dead right. It has just started to leak again albeit very lightly.

I will take it all off again and give the pin a good clean.

Any other tips to stop it from leaking again?

I assume the tiny black plastic ring thingy goes onto the pin first?

Thanks
Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back