Potterton Performa 30 he fuse problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been having a problem my Potterton Performa 30 he boiler. I've just bought the house and the boiler is as installed, on first attempt to fire up the boiler, I found that the 2 Amp quick blow fuse on the PCB had gone, on replacing this, the boiler worked fine for two days until the PCB fuse went again!. So I replaced the fuse for the second time yesterday. Today on attempting to manually turn the heating on, vie the on switch on the programmable timer, there was a flash and the timer went pop! Again the fuse on the PCB -fused. Any thoughts on what may be causing this? If the timer went pop/flash does this indicate that the timer is at fault and needs replacing? or is incorrectly wired? note this did work ok for a short while. or is it likely something else?
Any help greatfully received, its pretty cold here!

Sponsored Links
why not get the previous owner to cough up as the boiler should be in good working order as part of purchase.

I would expect that there is a leaking gland inside the boiler which has let water into the diverter valve motor which is blowing the fuse if your model uses this system. But it could be the pump or other components.

Merely repeatedly replacing a fuse which promptly blows is risking further damage.

If a fuse blows then its because too much current is being drawn and the requirement is to identify the cause of the problem.

Tony Glazier

Now that you mention it I did notice a small brown wet drip on the inner casing when accessing the PCB to replace the fuse! does this strengthen the leaking gland case? Sounds like its a plumber job? costly?

Sponsored Links
You seem very concerned about the cost even though you must have paid well over £250,000 for the house. As stated, the seller should be paying UNLESS he stated the boiler was defective or not checked.

If we did the repair it would usually be less than £100 if the motor can be dried out and about £130 if it has to be replaced, both including a service.

I dont know if thats classed as expensive. In boiler repair terms its perhaps rather less than an average repair cost.

Tony

I think the giveaway could be the clock went pop and flashed.
New integral clock cost 25 quid and takes 5 minutes to fit 4 push on wires.

Now I'm confused, The timer I can change, simples. But if its not that don't want to wast time and money and possible extra damage to the boiler changing it. The timer is remote from the boiler and it was definitely that that went pop/flash. Is this likely to have been caused by a short in the boiler?

quite. caveat emptor comes to mind but hind sight is a wonderful thing. Help with the boiler issue rather than property advice apprechiated!

sorry, not much help :) agile is probly on the right track, water a electrics dont mix to well. probly not something you can safely diy. get your gas guy/gal in to deal with it. repairs to this boiler are seldom expensive.

if the motor is ok, the flow switches are also prone to leaking onto the microswitches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back