Potterton performa 30he combi probs.

Isolate the cold water inlet below the boiler , open the lowest HW tap and leave it open till you are finished, you will need a 24mm ring spanner to get the old venturi out

Sponsored Links
Great stuff thanks for that. Part arrived at home this morning, so will be a weekend project.

Ok, did it this evening, i think you have given me some sort of success, i got the old one out quite easy, but as suspected, the cage on the end was broken off, after a bit of a fashion, i got the spring, and what was left of the cage out, but the little bit the spring pushes on over the venturi, i couldnt find in there.

So at that point nothing else i could do, i put in the new one, switched it all back on, and now the second the tap is put on to just ober a trickle, in comes the boiler, and so far the temp stayed nice and hot throughout the shower, so for the moment, its working to my satisfaction, will just monitor it for a while.

So in all, thank you all for your help and your time, it was very much appriciated.

Ok, did it this evening, i think you have given me some sort of success, i got the old one out quite easy, but as suspected, the cage on the end was broken off, after a bit of a fashion, i got the spring, and what was left of the cage out, but the little bit the spring pushes on over the venturi, i couldnt find in there.

So at that point nothing else i could do, i put in the new one, switched it all back on, and now the second the tap is put on to just ober a trickle, in comes the boiler, and so far the temp stayed nice and hot throughout the shower, so for the moment, its working to my satisfaction, will just monitor it for a while.

So in all, thank you all for your help and your time, it was very much appriciated.
dont go worrying too much about the disintegrated part, it can be hard to get it all out if it is working you have sorted it

Sponsored Links
Well sort of, i now hear a slight whistle when the hot taps on full, or the shower is on, no sound atall when just tye heating is on. So either a bit is stuck in there somewhere, or the plate exchanger has a slight blockage.

Might just get some seals, whip it off and have a look, it dont look that hard to remove tbh.

Easy to remove but you have to drain the boiler, if you are taking it out then it is worthwhile cleaning it while it is out for all that is involved , just be carefull with whichever chemical you use , they are all very nasty, follow all the safety precautions

From what i can see, i drain the dhw as i did yesterday, the heating side, i turn off both taps for in and out, and looks like a drain tap on the other end of the manifold to the hydraulic venturi.

I didnt think about chemicals for cleaning tbh, anything you can recommend, as i was just thinking using vinegar to descale.

i turn off both taps for in and out

dont even think about doing that, they will leak when you turn them back on, no need to anyway, just use the drain point till no more water coming out and as you have already done with the domestic water side

anything you can recommend, as i was just thinking using vinegar to descale.

It is not limescale that you are cleaning out it is system magnetite or sludge that blocks the primary side of the plate heat exchanger, I use one shot, but as said just take your time and be carefull dont rush it, its very nasty stuff, some use brick acid, if everything is working Ok unlikely it needs cleaned , I always just do it when I take a plate out for anything , |I carry the stuff anyway so just add it and leave it to cook while i do the rest of what I am there for

Ok, ill do it that way instead, thanks for the heads up on that.

Ill get some stuff to do the cleaning with, although i wonder as these exchangers seem to be availavle for about £30 i wonder if it saves time and effort to just replace.

If you can get one for £30 ish and it comes with seals yes definately go that way, you can always clean the old one and keep as a spare , but doubt you would ever need it

Perfect, thats just what i was thinking of.

Ill get one of them, and see if that finishes all my problems.

Thank you once again.

Much appriciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back