Potterton Performa Combi Boiler sounds like an aeroplane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Potterton Performa 24 combi boiler sounds like an aeroplane going over when it first kicks on for HW and or CH. Once you get the boiler running the noise eases off to silence until you turn off the HW or turn off the CH when it groans to a halt (is that the fan making the noise???).

The boiler is about 10 years old and has been solid apart from a replaced diaphragm 2 months ago.

I recently used Wickes rad cleaner (blue label) which I left in for a week after draining down the whole system (5 rads in total) and then put in the Wickes inhibitor (red label). That was the first clean I think the system has had for about 7 years at least..... I was very surprised that the water was as clear as it was when I drained it and there was hardly any bits or rubbish in the water either????

Pressure is at 1.5 and I've been round and bled all the rads to eliminate pressure in the system.

Could it be air in the boiler or has the sludge got into the bolier from the cleaning???

All help/comments appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
With the boiler firing for CH, open a hot tap - does the noise kick in again?

Also what Performa is it?

Beerlover";p="1743000 said:
With the boiler firing for CH, open a hot tap - does the noise kick in again?

With boiler firing for CH I opened the HW tap and indeed the noise started again......

However, I did drop the standing cold pressure to just under 1 bar and that seems to lessen the noise?!?!?

Any ideas???

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if the gas settings may be incorrect OR its scaled up.

That may need a competent engineer to check/diagnose.

I always wonder why some DIYers start doing "maintenance/repairs" when there is no indication that anything is needed.

If the system is properly cleaned when a boiler is installed then no further action is needed for 10-30 years as long as the system is run correctly.

Tony

If the system is properly cleaned when a boiler is installed then no further action is needed for 10-30 years as long as the system is run correctly.
jeez another pearl of wisdom

does the number 12 ring any bells :rolleyes:

From that, I think we can eliminate the fan bearings.

Would you describe the sound as a bit like an air raid siren? This normally would hint at a blocked main heat exchanger.

It may also be the autobypass valve opening which would point to a boiler blocked with carp. This is more of a vibrating screech noise.

[GALLERY=media, 26410][/GALLERY]

Is the pipework underneath as per this diagram ie the two outer valves are the right way round? the one on the right has a filter that can block if fitted to the flow and cause all sorts of mayhem. If it is wrong, isolate drain the boiler and remove the filter (undo larger nut on the front, run heating and hope it flushes out the blocked waterways.

If you have many years eperience of heating systems they you will no boubt have seen systems well over 20 years old which are 100% clean.

On a sealed system, if its clean when installed then where would any dirt come from if its operated corrected?

I only do power flushing or cleaning when its necessary.

Thats not totally correct because I once power flushed a clean system because this old couple were frightened that BG would cancel their cover if it was not power flushed. So just to make them happy I did power flush it although it was never needed. Perhaps the BG engineer had not earnt enough sales points that month?

Tony

From that, I think we can eliminate the fan bearings.

Would you describe the sound as a bit like an air raid siren? This normally would hint at a blocked main heat exchanger.

It may also be the autobypass valve opening which would point to a boiler blocked with carp. This is more of a vibrating screech noise.

[GALLERY=media, 26410][/GALLERY]

Is the pipework underneath as per this diagram ie the two outer valves are the right way round? the one on the right has a filter that can block if fitted to the flow and cause all sorts of mayhem. If it is wrong, isolate drain the boiler and remove the filter (undo larger nut on the front, run heating and hope it flushes out the blocked waterways.

Thanks beerlover. It was indeed the heat exchanger - some of the sh1t from the cleaner I put in had got into it and was causing the racket.....

Picked up a new exchanger and that has sorted it....... :D

Thanks for the comments & support

Could it be air in the boiler or has the sludge got into the bolier from the cleaning???

All help/comments appreciated :D

Thats interesting! You seemed to suspect that you had let dirt get into the boiler main heat exchanger.

I hope that you had it changed by a boiler engineer.

I would have chemically cleaned it in situ because I can do that on the spot on the one visit without returning with a new ( and expensive ) heat exchamger.

Tony

Agile :?: How much would you have charged for a visit and a chemical flush?

Pretty sure it would have been more than the £80 odd pound he paid for a new part (guaranteed clear). Why would he need a boiler engineer when good minded people can help him on this site for no glory or profit?

Some want glory, some want praise, some want thanks... BUT some only want to help :cool:

Changing the main HE is part of the gas train and as such should be done by an RGI.

Where could he buy a main HE for £80 even pounds?

To chemically clean a boiler we charge a diagnostic fee of £84 in our local area plus a variable amount depending on how many times we have to dose the boiler. Perhaps a total of £140-£180 Why do you ask?

Not only can we do that on the initial visit but the cleansing covers all the wet boiler components. Its often difficult to find out exactly whereabouts a boiler blockage actually is and there can often be several significant blockages.

I also find quite a lot of performas have the filter ( wrongly ) fitted to the left flow connection.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back