Potterton Powermax HE - Remote Programmer (Nest)

When you have disconnected the cable from the thermostat at one end, and also the boiler at the other end. You should be left with a longer version of this.

download.jpg

A cable with multiple cores that is not connected to anything at either end. You can then use one of the cores to connect T1 at the Heat link to T1 at the Nest thermostat and T2 at the Heat link to T2 at the Nest thermostat.

The spare cores can be cut back / insulated / isolated and tucked out of the way.

If I understand correctly what happened originally, you connected the Nest thermostat to one end of the cable, whilst the other end was still connected to the 230v terminals at the boiler

Sponsored Links
Yes you are right i did do that.

I didnt really have time to test it last night but i will do it over the weekend. I dont have a multimeter but i do have an electricians screwdriver (the one that is insulated and lights up if you touch a live wire).

I will leave things plugged in and power on, then i will test the live to see if the screwdriver lights up. then i will turn power off, disconnect the live wire at boiler and turn power back on, then i will test the live at the wall. if the light does not come on then hey presto i have my cable.

I will do this with the rest and see how i get on, but i feel confident with this.

will let you know.

There will be no power in those wires using one of those screwdrivers as, like stem clearly showed above, what you have is a completely disconnected wire at both ends. You can only test continuity with a multimeter.

Why are you suggesting to disconnect the live from the boiler? You should not need to do anything with the wires in the boiler anymore. You have to connect the old thermostat wire to the heat link.

Surely there is only one loose wire that you disconnected? Why not check the colour combination in the thermostat and what you have disconnected and you’ve probably got your wire.

Those screwdrivers aren't accurate and should be banned. Get yourself a proper multimeter, it'll be much safer. I must say that it always amazes me that people can find the £200 to spend on a luxury item, but can't find the money required to get it professionally fitted, or buy the required tools to do it safely and correctly themselves. This is a 45 minute job for a competent installer, but if you must insist on doing it yourself then at least get yourself some decent kit.

Sponsored Links
Those screwdrivers aren't accurate and should be banned. Get yourself a proper multimeter, it'll be much safer. I must say that it always amazes me that people can find the £200 to spend on a luxury item, but can't find the money required to get it professionally fitted, or buy the required tools to do it safely and correctly themselves. This is a 45 minute job for a competent installer, but if you must insist on doing it yourself then at least get yourself some decent kit.

I was going to put something else but opted to refrain :sick::sneaky:

Well that didn't work so I gave up. I used a USB cable to power it and mounted it to the wall above the plug. Will get some trunking tomorrow to hide the cable and all sorted.

Thank you all for your help in this.

Oz

Are you sure the socket cable doesn’t run up the wall above the socket? Does it run down to the floor?

Be careful :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back