Potterton Powermax HE - Remote Programmer (Nest)

Sponsored Links
When my mother was living alone I wanted to see all was OK, so put in broad band and cameras, and TRV wifi heads, this allowed me to monitor and adjust her heating from my house, they were not cheap, paid just under £80 for a pair, but they were easy to fit, and they worked well.

There are non wifi versions down to £10 each where you can set a program to change temperature through the day, and if you don't want to bend down to the valve, bluetooth starts at £15 each.

Nest works with Energenie so I fitted the MiHome Energenie first, and then took them with me to new home, where I also fitted Nest, but reason for fitting Nest was because only two wired entrance floor to granny flat where boiler is, and wanted to control DHW and CH with just two wires. Even without Nest the Energenie TRV heads worked very well controlling room temperature.

Just to confirm I can plug the USB cable that I would charge my phone with into the back of the nest to test it's working right? That usb cable is connected to the wall socket of a normal uk home....

I cant believe this bloody thing has cost me so much hassle. Surely there should of been some sort of safe mode for idiots like me to stop all the damage I have caused...

Just to confirm I can plug the USB cable that I would charge my phone with into the back of the nest to test it's working right? That usb cable is connected to the wall socket of a normal uk home....

I cant believe this bloody thing has cost me so much hassle. Surely there should of been some sort of safe mode for idiots like me to stop all the damage I have caused...
Yes, plug it into a standard UK phone charger.

The safe mode for idiots, to prevent damage, is to call in a professional installer rather than pitching in trying to do something you don't understand. It's impossible to make something completely idiot-proof, because idiots are surprisingly ingenious in their attempts to make a total hash of things

Sponsored Links
Surely there should of been some sort of safe mode for idiots like me to stop all the damage I have caused...

To be fair to Nest, they do a pretty good job of trying to stop exactly the scenario you’ve found yourself in, see attached - I know when I installed it, it’s the first thing I saw.

Attachments

• DAADDC65-FA59-4529-8864-ED4305DB73E6.jpeg
    DAADDC65-FA59-4529-8864-ED4305DB73E6.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 195
A bit of good news...

I didn't blow the nest

Attachments

• 20191009_201949.jpg
    20191009_201949.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 161
Oh yea baby, over the moon :)

There us a further issue. Got it all working then turned the dial in Drayton thermo controller thingy on the wall and it soarked and popped a fuse in the boiler again. Luckily it only popped 1 fuse and I had a spare so it's working again but I'm not turning the thermostat again.

Attachments

• 20191010_185136.jpg
    20191010_185136.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 153
Got away with it on the boiler front then, but it sounds like you still have a wiring fault which requires rectification soon

I'm going to mount that luck and not attempt to hit the nest until I get this wiring done. Looking for a decent electrician now

This is the cables connected to the old Drayton Combi-Stat controller. As said before I do believe I connected the Neural and live to the Nest Controller. After I powered the system on via the main switch box nothing has worked from then. No Nest, No boiler.

hi Muggles, Im ready to try again with my Nest and the Powermax. Im confident with the Nest heat link box connections, but still a bit confused with the thermostat end. Based on the picture i put up thats connected to the Drayton thermostat on page 4, what out of the 4 cables (Yellow Earth, Blue, Brown and Brown sleeved) what 2 do i connect to the header?

Why did you not ask your electrician to fit it while that were sorting the rest of the wiring out? And what was the wiring fault that was causing fuses to blow?

Use the brown & black wires at the old thermostat location to connect your Nest, and connect the other end of those same wires to T1 & T2 in your Heat Link. Cut back the other two cores to ensure they can't accidentally make contact with anything you don't want them to.

I never got an electrician in. I have read the manual many times and looked at these pics here and have wired the heat sink up to the boiler. That worked. I then connected the thermostat to a USB charger and it all works.

All I have to do now is find the 2 brown/black wires at the boiler end and hard wire it to the wall where the old Drayton thermostat was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back