potterton powermax's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
evening. i ve read theres been few co incidents with powermax's? anyone know what has been the problem here. problems with twin flues? thanks

Sponsored Links
Twin flues in voids (flats etc) inadequately supported and collapsing, followed by incompetent engineers making incorrect adjustments to the gas valve.

This boiler is quite safe if correctly installed and maintained.

A simple check with a Flue gas analyser on both the flue and air intake (Must have 20.9% oxygen) will prove the correct functioning (or not) of this boiler.

i cant see why any engineers should be messing about with these gas valves when theyre factory set and newly installed.mind boggling

To quote the Heineken ad: "Probably the WORST boiler in the World" - after the Isar of course

Sponsored Links
To quote the Heineken ad: "Probably the WORST boiler in the World" - after the Isar of course

Far from it, the potty powermax's are simple boilers. A HE boiler with an unvented cyclinder underneath.

The Range powermaxs were a bit of a beast but much of their problem was poor or inadequate servicing. The design wasnt great though

i live on an estate where ther are loads of these beasts (including powermaxs)
i have a top floor flat so flue goes straight up,no probs there.
all 3 floors below me have same boiler but layout of flue runs is much more complicated,most flue runs are above bedrooms,halls and bathrooms all hidden in plasterboard ceilings.
bg are always on this estate repairing these,bg have a reserved parking area now.
i have decided to exchange my powermax before paying out anything to repair it.(it has an intermittent fault)
flue need an inspection access panels where a join has been made and every 3 foot where there is a straight run.
gas valves are not made by powermax/baxi and need correct set up on site,although if a gas valve fails and is exchanged the new valve will work BUT could be produce a lethal mixture in the flue or boiler which could leak in to living areas of the property.
anyway my beast is being exchanged end of the month.
reccomend any one new to powermaxs to get heateam in or do the baxi powermax course.

a well designed push fit flue at the bottom behind the cylinder out of sight that has a tendency to corrode and fall out, beautiful design! ;)

why do engineers mess with the gas valves? probably because it says in the instructions if they need adjusting then you can, as long as there's nothing else causing poor combustion. factory set doesn't mean it's perfect, for example quite a few condensing boilers come out of the factory with co2 settings out of range

screech,thank you yes i know of this flue (hidden connector) only way for an engineer to check this is with a flue gas sniffer,tube pushed down in line with flue outlet pipe and test for at least 10 minutes.
think it is not to current standards as a visual examination is not possible but these boilers need a flue gas sniffer to check preformance and co leakages.

ps,i am now the unelected powermax expert on this estate although i just give advice.
thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back