Potterton Prima 50F Boiler Issue! HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.
I've having a problem with my Potterton Prime 50F boiler - it is quite old, but have served us well so far.

So in short... it doesn't quite start properly. You hear the fan whirring, but it takes a few clicks and cycles until the flame eventually starts. It then goes on for around 2-5mintues, before i hear lots of bangs and it stops.. it definitely is overheating/kettling?

Now, I know the pump upstairs needs replacing, but I've had two gas experts come in with different conclusions on the boiler.

1) the flue & fan needs replacing

2) the pcb needs replacing....

Can anyone tell me which one is the most likely cause? :eek:

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert at all but have the same boiler and last year it was whirring and clicking but not firing up - new PCB required.

I took out British Gas home serve/care, whatever it's called, policy for £21pcm the first time we had boiler problems and it's served us really well. They always come out quickly, replaced PCB, this week replaced a motorised valve, had a few other bits replaced too and all FOC parts and labour. Even had the PCB on the van.

Foc you say, what about the 21 PCM you pay that isn't free

Hence the 'parts and labour are FOC' but clearly I'm aware I pay £21 a month for the cover, so £252 p/a.

Would have been cheaper (around £15 pcm I think) had I not taken out the policy because I had an existing issue,

For the work I've had done I cannot see it would be cheaper to pay individually for each job as I think the PCB alone is about £100, the motorised valve maybe £60 plus the other bits like the knob for the thermostat etc.they fitted the new Flue too (had to buy that part though) Then I'd have to pay for someone to come out, diagnose then fit each part on top.

Annual service included too.

For a trouble free boiler maybe it's not worth it, ours has paid back though. Having a baby in the house means priority call outs too.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back