Potterton Prima F Central Heating Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having problems with the bolier recently!!! Boiler works fine for a few days or weeks, then, generally on a cold morning I wake up and no heating on. The boiler seems to be trying to start, the fans starts for a second or two then stops. It repeats process every 5 seconds or so. Initially, if i turn the boiler off by setting boiler thermostat to zero and wait a few seconds its starts and runs a again for a few days. After a few days of this it wont start at all. Tried leaving central heating on all time and lowering stat at night which seemed to work for a while but now wont start again. Had plumber out and replaced rotten flue with remedial kit so that should be OK although there may be some rust in outer flue.

Anyone any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
Thanks Giblets, it was indeed the PCB! All working now new one installed.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Had overs 4 years with no problems then woke up this morning to a cold house!

The boiler must have fired up because the radiators are warm to touch but not hot! The boiler is making a whirring noise, but there is no pilot light and its not clicking to ignite. Tried turning on and off but no luck!

Any suggestions as its going to be a cold few days?

Many thanks.

Chris

Its just started for a few seconds and noticed the fan was making a low level screeching noise and then it stopped and the boiler went off!

Does this sound like a big / expensive job?

Seems like I need to find someone local to fix?

For a boiler engineer its a very simple and straightforward job.

New fan is probably about £100 and then perhaps £70-£84 for fitting depending on your location.

The boiler is getting a bit old now and a new model would probably save about 25% of your gas consumption.

Tony

For a boiler engineer its a very simple and straightforward job.

New fan is probably about £100 and then perhaps £70-£84 for fitting depending on your location.

The boiler is getting a bit old now and a new model would probably save about 25% of your gas consumption.

Tony

Thanks for the post Tony.

Spoke to the guy who usually looks after the boiler who was ill so couldnt help me this time. He did say it was a simple fix so I ended up getting the fan myself and swapping it over. All up and running fine now.

Would have paid someone to do it but being Friday and busy with work didnt think I would get anyone before Monday and didnt fancy a chilly weekend!!!

Chris

^^

So you went into the combustion chamber and installed a new fan?

Did you carry out a case seal check afterwards??

Ah right that's ok then, case seals aren't that important to be honest.

:rolleyes:

Boliers playing up again....as Tony said, its probably due to be replaced!!! However, its not going to get replaced before xmas so was hoping for some help.

Boiler went off on its own, now wont start! No ticking on start up and no pilot light. Gas is on to the house as I have checked fire in front room and fuses all ok. Pump makes a noise when I start it up and I think I can hear the fan in the boiler. Not sure if the pumps moving water through pipes or just making a noise!

Any ideas? Will try and get someone out tomorrow.

Any ideas on a good new boiler and how much it will cost supplied and fitted?
I think my Prima 50f is 50K BTU output, but think I may need something a little bigger as we have an extra room and some rads have increased.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back