Potterton Prima F Condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Potterton Prima F 50 is dripping condensation from the base cover. The boiler is probably 10 years old, but this is my first winter in this house. It only seems to happen when the external temperature is below freezing. It still happens whatever the boiler thermostat setting. I have tried from 2 up to 5. There is condensation in the flue most of the time. The flue does slope downwards from the boiler to the outside, so it shouldn't be running back. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
They all do it sir. Any boiler can, anyway. On your boiler it has a habit of corroding through the flue though, for which a retrofit kit is available.

Thanks for the info. Does the kit merely replace a corroded flue or does it actually reduce the condensation problem? If the latter then what do I ask for, as my plumber doesn't know anything about that. He tried to convince me it was rain - even when it occurred during a dry spell and we had no problems in November when the storms were lashing against the flue outlet.

I have trawled through the old posts and found this one.

My potterton primaF 50 flue pipe (horizontal 1 metre internal tube) has corroded, together with the terminal guard fins.
The flue on my set up is fitted with a 90 degree flue bend kit,

Starting from top of boiler 200mm vertical, 90 degree (going right facing boiler) bend kit (part no. 225600) then 1 metre horizontal pipe to outside with terminal.

My question being is the horizontal pipe standard twin pipe flue or is this not standard as it fits into the bend kit.

It would be easy to replace as it has three self tappers easily accessible and I am quite happy to replace like with like. It's just if any one is ok about giving a non corgi a bit of advice. :)

Sponsored Links
I have encountered a condensation problem once before on a standard boiler.

However that was owned by a very mean fellow who only ran the heating for 10 minutes at a time and the same with the hot water.

In that case the boiler never had any opportunity to heat up properly and the heat exchanger had become very corroded from condensation.

Oddly the day before I had been to exactly the same model which was 27 years old and had never been serviced and had just developed its first fault, a £20 thermostat. It was in a lovely clean state but then it had been used daily by a retired couple.

A c.i. heat exchanger boiler should never be used for less than about 30 minutes otherwise condensation will be a problem.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back