Potterton Profile 100e boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently encountered a problem with my Potterton Profile 100e boiler. My neighbour, being a qualified corgi gas fitter, has been in support as I have attempted to get my boiler to fire up. Basically, what happens is when I turn the control knob I can hear the fan kick in, followed by the pressure switch and then a faint noise, which I guess is from the gas valve. However, there is no pilot light, just a spark. Consequently, the boiler won't fire up. In my quest to sort things I have replaced the pcb and gas valve to no avail. I'm loathed to go to much more expence.
Can anyone offer a suggestion what to do next as I’m on the verge of taking a large hammer to the problem as a means of making me feel better.

Sponsored Links
thought your neighbour was a gas fitter ?
and he's let you spend all that time and money for nothing.
wouldn't put him on next yrs xmas card list.

is the pilot blocked ?

Are you sure he is "corgi" registered? A bit odd that he would claim that, as corgi are now the gasbody in Ireland. In England, it has been the GasSafeRegister after march.
You can log on to the website as a householder, and verify his claim.
Did you replace the parts at his recommendation, or did he do it for you?

firstly get someone half decent to repair your boiler ;)
who was reponsible for replacing the gas valve :?:

Sponsored Links
Thanks to those who took the time to get back, but I was hoping for some advice rather than the 'third degree'. I am grateful for the comment on the possibility of the pilot being blocked. I'll check it out.

The third degree as you call it, is to get a better idea of what the problem could be. The gasfitter who was there and could actually see and hear the boiler, and run little tests, was still not able to repair it, so what makes you think that any of us can figure out what the problems is if we can't see it, can't hear it, can't test it, and you won't answer questions?

I'm more than happy to answer any questions regarding the problems being encountered with my boiler and really appreciate constructive comment. As a starting point can we just accept that I have replaced the pcb and the gas valve, which are the correct parts for the model. The noises all appear correct i.e the fan coming on, the click of the pressure switch and the faint metallic clunk of the gas valve. All this and no pilot light. The electrode does have a strong and regular spark and the pilot injector is clear. There are no gas leaks and all the seals are good.
Do you think I might have a faulty pcb?

you shouldn't be changing a gas valve yourself, its illegal. The problem your having is that your guessing at the problem and throwing parts at it, a little bit like alot of the idiots in this industry. You haven't actually said what voltage is going to the gas valve and to which solenoid, have you got correct polarity, whats the inlet working pressure and does it respond when there's power to the gas valve. All gas checks and work on gas should be carried out by a competent person, not you and clearly by the sound of it not your neighbour!

cant believe that before changing anything your neighbour didnt check the most obvious first.the pilot injector for blockage.then it would go to the realms of what mickyg has stated.but as with it being a new gas valve and pcb. id check the wiring harness to the gas valve.simple checks for a decent rgi.

My guess is the 'neighbour' doesn't exist.....he has done the work himself and still can't fix it........don't respond to more questions....OP....just pay and get a professional.....do us all a favour

You can stick a brand new valve in, is still needs testing and setting, I doubt that you have the tools to do that, but your neighbour should be able to do that in less than half an hour including time for a cuppa.

Well, not much help here. Thought it was an advice forum and all I get it distrust and cynicism. Is this a gasman thing, 'I've got the knowledge so pay up'. That's the impression being given. Why have a 'gas' forum if nothing is safe to diy?
You'd think I was asking for the earth rather than the benefit of superior knowledge.
Powell30 should know that it costs nothing to be civil and not jump to unfounded conclusions. There is no way on this earth that I would endanger my family by changing a major gas fitments myself, being unqualified to do so. At most I might consider more obvious elimination checks/tests as long as the experts think I could do so safely.
Powell30 you might consider a course in goodwill and anger management!

Well, not much help here.

With the limited information you have given us, you have been told what the problem is, or most likely to be.

Why have a 'gas' forum

This a plumbing and central heating forum! The gas forum 'The Combustion Chamber' is available to anyone with Gas Safe registration details.

Powell30 should know that it costs nothing to be civil and not jump to unfounded conclusions.
He/She has just stated what we are all thinking

is no way on this earth that I would endanger my family by changing a major gas fitments myself, being unqualified to do so.

So who did change it? If they are competent to do that surely they could have carried on and found the simple fault

As mentioned above, this is NOT a gas-forum.

Virtually all guys posting on here that are gas qualified will happily advise on anything and everything, apart from those activities for which you need to be competent to work on gas.

Changing a gasvalve is NOT a diy job, and can definitely endanger people and property when done wrong.

Changing the pcb is arguable, but generally advise is given on how to go about. Invariably this is accompanied by the warning that you must be competent to work with electricity, need a multimeter, and know how to use it. A couple of simple tests necessary to carry out in order to see if it is indeed likely to be the pcb will reveal if people have the skill to this safely.

There is no similar, simple, safe test for changing a gasvalve, as any test will at least involve opening gasways which would leave a leak if you did it wrong.

OP.....the content of your original post and subsequent answers lead to the obvious conclusion that you have done the work yourself....if not you would have stated that outright rather than waffle that you would not endanger etc etc.....

If your neighbour had done this work he is either not competant or not qualified....neither of which helps you. My tone was neither intended to insult or anger....just stated the obvious. You are not qualified to work on a gas valve and i seriously doubt your neighbour is. We get far too many people soliciting knowledge that is the domain of registered gas men/women and it is their domain for a reason.....safety and the law......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back