Potterton Profile 50e not firing...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...well it does after a while.

House maintenance man on his last safety visit did a tweak somewhere and mention to my wife that it was a slightly bent pipe and to put call in if it happens again. There is a thin copper pipe going up to the pilot area..is this what he meant ?

We will put the call in tomorrow...interested to see that on quite a few sites there is every part you can imagine available for this 20 year old boiler. I assume the fault here is something to do with the pilot light pipe area...pipe £12 or whole kits around £24. The point being that repair is just not an issue on this good old workhorses.

I was going to replace my boiler with a Worcester/Bosch condensing boiler a while back but couldn't justify the £2000 (?) cost of doing that against the savings in gas as the pay back would be something like 10-15 years.....assuming the new one lasts that long that is.

Sponsored Links
I have no idea what he meant!

You seem to be talking about a thermocouple but your boiler does not have one!

Resetting the overheat stat got my friends boiler going today and prevented the embarrasment of having to charge them £84 to go and fix it today!

You could try that!

Tony

I'll try that, thanks Agile.

To be fair title should be "fires up for a second or so then cuts out and retries...again and again"

It has a problem whatever time of day but when the boiler hasn't been required for a while..."cold" if you like. Its become particularly annoying these cold mornings when it can take 10 -20 mins for the boiler to fire. Other times it fires straight away. The boiler seems to light but cuts out after 1-2 seconds...then retries again and again with the same symptoms

In fact after reading some other articles lots seems to point to the PCB..specifically the capacitors on the PCB....

Ah well should be interesting if I get the wife to mention this to teh engineer. "I say old chap...I reckon the fault might well be with the PCB..don't you know ?"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back