Potterton Profile 60E problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tried searching the forum but nothing matches my problem..... So here goes, I have a Potterton profile 60E that was not firing up - called in Plumber who said it was PC Board - fitted new one but still no good - he then turned the Boiler Thermostat to the "0" posistion (it was on 3) and the system fired up. Unfortunately it died 10 mins after he had gone. I then contacted a heating engineer who lives near to me to have a look he said it could be the system need a power flush or even a new pump as he had one in his van he said he would change it to see if that was the problem - he did and the boiler fired up again this time long enough to heat all the radiators.

The real problem arises when I have had a shower if the heating is on but has the thermostat set low as not to call for heat (set it 10c on room thermostat) the boiler fires up on it's own and the only way to stop it is to turn it off completely. Also if I have to heat the house for a long period the boiler cuts out make a real racket and I can hear water gurggling in the loft - cold tank is always full to the top and the expansion tank is a 1/3 full (with steam coming from it) so i have to have the heating set to constant and move up in increments of a degree or 2. This also happens exactly the same if I have a shower and the heating is on - so i have to turn off before using it. After a while I have to press the reset button on the boiler and I will hear the sound of water flowing into the boiler and it will fire again but only for a few minutes and trip out again if I do this a few times (after a wait of 10 mins in between each reset) it finally works again. All the radiators get hot and I have bled them all in case this was an air lock.

Hope someone can help with this.

Sponsored Links
I am very sorry that you have managed to call someone who just changed the PCB when it was not causing the fault. He also seemed to have wrongly reconnected the thermostat at first.

But its often the customer's fault because all repairs like this should be on a no-fix no-fee basis. You should not have paid him for either the new PCB nor for wrongly diagnosing the fault. I dont understand how people like that ever get repeat business.

There are obviously still some issues with your boiler but the only one that I can really identify from what you have said is that there seems to be air in or around the top of your boiler.

You need a competent boiler engineer but I dont think any of the remaining problems are serious.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back