1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Potterton Profile 80e Rapid Clicking Noise - Updated

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by dave456, 13 Jan 2013.

1. dave456

dave456

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My post was locked, I can only assume since I put a link in referring to another site which said it was the gas valve - apologies as I didn't realise I'd broken the rules.

http://www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/potterton-profile-80e-rapid-clicking-noise.350424/

That said I've used this post to now update the solution, for the benefit of others going forward. It's always frustrating when you see a similar problem and no update is provided.

Despite the posts from some very experienced members with saying it was the PCB - simples :oops: . It wasn't. :LOL:

All I did was lower the PCB and circuitory, check all the connections were tight and re-assemble (I'd seen another post suggesting this). I've not heard a peep since - touch wood. Before I did his, every day I'd getting a clicking noise.

For the person who is reading this thread is 5 years time, have a go at what I did. You've got nothing to lose except at least a couple of hundred quid changing the PCB :LOL:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. joe-90

joe-90

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    But that's how the gas industry makes its dosh Dave. Every bit repair is a new circuit board. No such thing as a gas fitter that looks for the real fault - change the board and pocket three hundred quid. ;)

4. dave456

dave456

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I like your no BS response.

5. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yo9ur thread was locked because of Nimrods like Joe-90.

But... your problem was a dodgy connection on the circuit board. Something any decent boiler repair man would check as part of his diagnosis.

Either that or you do have dodgy connections on your PCB and your fiddling has temporarily sorted the issue. In which case you do have an iffy PCB.

Your Blue Peter badge is in the post. :rolleyes:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. MENTACATO

MENTACATO

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    100% fault on molex pcb pins, pay heed to Dan the professional :!:

7. Agile

Agile

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I dont blindly blame a PCB or other part in a boiler which I have not visited. I did not do it in your locked thread either.

BUT its most likely to be a problem with the PCB having poorly soldered joints on the connector pins and so moving will have given a temporary respite but not solved the problem.

Resoldering the joints will probably solve it. But its not generally considered good advice as it results in a non maker approved part.

Tony

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links