potterton profile prima 60e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP !!! we are the proud(?) owners of a potterton profile prima 60e boiler from the stoneage that does some strange things.
Quite often when starting from cold, the fan will start and stop every few seconds without the boiler having a chance to fire up. sometimes the fan will stay on after a minute or so of doing the on/off thing, and the boiler lights and works o.k, but often it takes a lot longer and sometimes doesn't come on at all. the only way to get it to work is by giving he boiler a firm knock or sliding the levers on the wall programmer up to off then back to on 2or3 times. occasionally, we find the same thing happening even after the boiler has been on for an hour or two.
we had the fan replaced a year ago and the system was powerflushed just before that.
Please help, as it drives us insane and i'm going to have to kill it soon.... :evil:

Sponsored Links
i find the ignition side of the pcb fails on these and causes them to take 5/6 times to fire up
same with the potterton profile etc.

When a prima or profile on initial start up gets fan cycling every few seconds without actually going to ignition .
It tends to be a new board required

definately the board, had exactly this fault occur on my one at home.

Sponsored Links
definately the board, had exactly this fault occur on my one at home.

Hi guys, I have exactly the same fault and called British Gas out. The guy changed the pcb and still no difference. He then replaced the air pressure switch, at further cost to me, and guess what? Yep, no change! He gave up and left me with a big bill and the advice I should get a new boiler!!!

Please help!

thanks for all your replies....
sorry to hear of jambo55's problems and thats exactly what we want to avoid. I have also had advice locally suggesting pcb so will have to try it anyway. just hope i avoid throwing cash away...
The only way to get it to fire up now is by knocking it underneath, behind the thermostat but further towards the back.
How much should i expect to pay for a bog standard combi boiler fitted in a 3 bed semi with 10 rads?
thanks again, keep the advice coming....

1500 to 2k.......depending on boiler, gas line and condensate runs and any part L requirements

thanks for all your replies....
sorry to hear of jambo55's problems and thats exactly what we want to avoid. I have also had advice locally suggesting pcb so will have to try it anyway. just hope i avoid throwing cash away...
The only way to get it to fire up now is by knocking it underneath, behind the thermostat but further towards the back.
How much should i expect to pay for a bog standard combi boiler fitted in a 3 bed semi with 10 rads?
thanks again, keep the advice coming....

Nicktdl08 - I would really appreciate you let us know how you get on with the pcb, as I have a sneaky suspicion the unit fitted to mine was suspect. I tried giving mine a knock at exactly the same place as you did with yours, and hey presto it fired up first time! What gets me is, the guy that replaced mine didn't make any attempt to test any of the parts - he just went ahead and replaced them! I'm NOT a happy bunny.

jambo55......at this point we have decided to get a new boiler as we have spent quite a bit of money on ours but still seem to pay about £300 to maintain just before every xmas!!!!!! i will let you know if we do replace the pcb instead.surely if british gas did it you must have some comeback on them. if its any consolation you can buy a pcb for £106 +vat from part centres if you ask for a trade price(prima 60e) we have been quoted £65 to fit by a plumber. i would guess you payed quite a bit more through british gas. we used to have a service plan with them and we weren't impressed...
we have had 2 plumbers look at our boiler and neither of them tested anything.

The profile boilers are considered to be very reliable and easily repairable.

The fan hunting fault you descibe is a PCB fault and should cure it.

The profile boilers are considered to be very reliable and easily repairable.

The fan hunting fault you descibe is a PCB fault and should cure it.

Thanks guys - I am loathed to pay for another pcb, especially after already shelling out for one as well as an APS I didn't need!! I will try and see if I can claim back from BG, but I have a feeling I'm on a hiding to nothing. I may just have to take that chance!

I'm also going to have to pay for a new thermostat knob now too as I whacked the casing so hard it broke! Aaaargh! :cry:

Ive had some problems with the Wiring Harnesses on the profile range. On certain jobs ive had to change the PCB then the APS and stunned to find the fault hasnt been fixed. My mate works for Potterton and told me to change wiring harness and then it works

Ive had some problems with the Wiring Harnesses on the profile range. On certain jobs ive had to change the PCB then the APS and stunned to find the fault hasnt been fixed. My mate works for Potterton and told me to change wiring harness and then it works

Thanks for that BigGBo, is it a big job to do?

the other issue lie with the white wire connection on the (7) wire connector which tends to crack. this will give pilot on but no main gas.

ive also found when changeing the board for the 'revving' issue that the fault reoccurs when mains is turned back on. turning the mains off and then on clears it with no reoccurrence. wierd eh?.

and jambo call us back up... you got a ****e eng .

and jambo call us back up... you got a s***te eng .

Yeah I'm pretty sure I did. I was also having problems with the hot water heating up while only central heating on. He said I needed a new valve and actuator with a power flush. All this without even looking at it! Well, I decided to use this site and found out all i needed to do was change the actuator (bought for £30) and that did the trick!

It really is hard to find someone you can trust though :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back