POTTERTON PROMAX 15HE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope that someone could please shine a little light on an issue that I am having with the above boiler.

It was installed 4 years ago, but has recently started becoming a little less reliable.

I have the heating and hot water on timed (although the problem is the same even if on constant). Quite often the heating will not come on when it should, although the hot water is perfect and have never had an issue with.

The boiler fails to start and remains inactive even when on. If I switch it to reset and then back to on what usually happens is that the boiler fires up and runs for 3 or 4 seconds before stopping, almost like it is resetting, and then starts again for 3 or 4 seconds again and so on for 5 attempts. It then stops trying and doesn't restart.

I switch it to reset and then on again and repeat the process, sometimes for 5 or 10 minutes, until it comes on and then stays on and functions again as it should for a few hours or possibly even a few days.

This is a little frustrating, but I also spend days away at a time and have to come home to a freezing cold house, and I am concerned that maybe a frozen and burst pipe may be next.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I am a pretty good DIY'er, but a tight northerner who would prefer to fix it than pay if I can help it.. :)

Sponsored Links
Never been serviced.... I am assuming by your question that it should have been serviced by now..

yep it should be, every year. There's a possible reasons for your fault which is a result of lack of servicing. The combustion case seal deteriorates and will cause the fan stat to cut the boiler out after a short time of being on. I'm not saying this is definately the problem, but after 4 years it needs checking out as its a common problem.
Also I don't recommend this as DIY work as means gaining access to the combustion chamber, which is classed as gas work.

Sponsored Links
How much is a typical service?? (just ball park)

Are there any other things that I could do which may help to identify the problem or reduce the amount of times this problem occurs??

Thanks for your help so far.

I would say between £50-£70 plus the cost of the seal if it needs replacing. Might be worth a call to pottertons Heat Team to see what they charge.

Had the combustion chamber open and the heat seal is nice any spongy and shows no sign of deterioration.

Any other ideas what it can be. Its cold in here and don't have the money at the moment for repairs...

Thanks in advance

If your saying your boiler isnt firing up on heating then it could be a motorised valve issue. if you find your heating valve put it across onto manual and see if the boiler fires up then.

Heating valve.....could that be listed as the gas valve or is that something totally different?

What should I be looking for??

your boiler is a conventional boiler or heat only what ever you want to call it. now it depends how the system is designed but in you airing cupboard you will have either 1 or two motorised valves. go have a look and tell me what youve got.

In the airing cupboard are what appears to be a central heating (pump says circulating pumps ltd on the side) and a white box, with 2 red wheels on the side. This box is attached to the top of a flow valve of sorts and has an electric cable going into it. The wheels can be turned, but no dials are visable on the outside of it???

I would have taken a picture, but am looking for the cable as we speak.

This is the valve I was trying to describe

sunvic_casing.JPG

No. It sits on top of an in line valve (sorry for the poor terminology)

There is a valve with 3 pipes going into it and a black rotating handle, but one of these goes into my hot water tank. Is this what you mean or am I looking for a valve with 3 pipes in the boiler housing??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back