Potterton promax 24 he store.....Please help with sanity...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please please any engineers with any advice..
I have the potterton promax 24 he store. It's new, the house is only 18 months old. Last winter was our first winter in the house as we moved in in the summer. When the heating / hot water is on the boiler often makes horrendous droning noise. I have been reading other posts to try to get advice or an idea of what it is as last year I had 4 people come out, one changed the angle of the flue, one changed a pump, can't remember what the other two did! This year I have had another guy here who's only input was to put a polystyrene collar between the lid of the unit and the big grey metal box inside it!??! The noise is unbearable, often wakes us up, I've a 15 week old baby and am now at the stage of choosing between heat or sleep! I am sick of being brushed off as this is still well in guarantee not to mention that this is an ongoing problem started when the boiler was first used last winter. I have had the front off myself and even recorded the noise, it's so loud it can be heard from the garden, it often wakes the baby and I am at the end of my tether... Suggestions? For the record I am in no way going to attempt to fix this myself I just don't want to be given the brush off by another person who still doesn't solve the problem...

Sponsored Links
Scope for confuddlement here - are we talking about a boiler ( burns gas) or a big cylindrical thing (holds water).
Potterton in their finite wisdom mixed the names up and I for one didn't keep track, and sustopmers often read the name of the one they didn't mean to...

More info about exactly when it does it and how you can stop it - drawing off water , stopping the boiler, that sort of thing...?

Good chance the expansion vessel is the "unfortunate" way up. Is there a big round thing on a flexy hose connected near the cylinder??

If it's the boiler has anyone had it in bits - Flue gas analysis done?
ALso the burners used to come apart at the drop of a hat and make a racket - though I thout they'd fixed that one.

Hi, it's a combi I think, it has a cylinder inside it and it runs heating and hot water. It also has a mini tank / cylinder above it in the airing cupboard. I've just downloaded the fitting instructions ( seen as I won't be getting to sleep lol! )
It's an extremely loud didgeridoo type noise, it starts usually within 5 mins of the heating coming on, it then seems to build and then lower getting louder and quieter for anything from 5-to 20 mins and can be as often as every 15 mins. The only way to stop it mid " wail" is to either turn It off or sometimes I can turn down the temperature setting for the heating ( on the system itself not the thermostat on wall downstairs) apparently it's the dial that sets the internal temp? So means heater takes longer to heat? That doesn't always work and even having that dial only on a quarter still makes no difference. On the odd occasion I have had the front panel off if I press my hand against the big box that I have now found out contains the expansion vessel? Fan? Gas valve? Diverted valve? And pump? All of those things are housed inside a casing inside the normal front panel so I can't see or feel which one is making the awful noise, though when I press on the outer casing it does quieten a little.. But I can't stand there all night. : (

Sounds to me like it's the air has mixture that is causing the noise! Could be to do with flue routing or setting on gas valve!

Sponsored Links
Hi

Did you get to the bottom of your noise?

We have exactly the same situation going on here at the moment with this unit. It only affects the heating side of the system. If we turn off the heating, turn down the temperature the noise stops, if we do anything at all on the water side it continues unaffected.
The noise comes on around 10 times a day at present and seems to be getting louder.
An engineer came out and still insisted on changing the pump (under warranty)even though the above points at it not being pump related.
We are due another visit but could do with some clues if you are able to assist.

Thanks ,

Hi

Did you get to the bottom of your noise?

We have exactly the same situation going on here at the moment with this unit. It only affects the heating side of the system. If we turn off the heating, turn down the temperature the noise stops, if we do anything at all on the water side it continues unaffected.
The noise comes on around 10 times a day at present and seems to be getting louder.
An engineer came out and still insisted on changing the pump (under warranty)even though the above points at it not being pump related.
We are due another visit but could do with some clues if you are able to assist.

Thanks ,

Hello,

Did you manage to fix your problem? we have the same exact problem. The noise is when heating is on. If heating is off and just hot water then we don't have any problem. Engineer came and changed the expansion vessel and guaranteed me that will fix the issue but it did not.

We are being ripped off here. What was causing the noise for your boiler? Please let me know.

Many Thanks

I also have one of these in a flat I bought 18 monts ago. Terrible droning noise when the heating is running, no problem with the hot water.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Steve

I think the answer lies in finding a good engineer.

Sadly some of those above seem to have encountered some who cannot diagnose faults and fob them off with something which is obviously unrelated just to get out of the house.

Keep pestering them if under the warranty.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back