potterton puma 100e lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help! Our Potterton Puma 100e boiler locksout on the central heating system within a few moments of the boiler firing up - ie the green ignition light comes on but goes off very quickly. This only happens first thing in the morning after the boiler has been idle all night. It seems impossible that the boiler could have heated up much within those few moments. If I manage get up earlier than than the CH time switch is set to kick in and run the on-demand hot water then the CH will work without lockout. Similarly, later in the day CH starts up fine. In the morning it will eventually stay on after several pressings on the reset button (or after hot water has been run). The boiler is about 4 yrs old and we've had a pump replaced in that time. It seems to run fine (when it does) though it is a bit noisy - gurgles and bubbles. We do not have a BG maintenance contract and I'd like to be able point a CH plumber at the likely problem rather than have someone try this and that endlessly and expensively.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Cheapest option is a BG maintenance contract.

Your boiler is young so I believe theu wouldn't impose any arduous conditions before going into contract.

potterton would charge £220 for the repair which would include a years contract cover as well as any parts and vat :confused: Bargain call 08706 096096

It sounds to me as if the AAV is blocked or closed.

BG would charge you about £180 every year.

I doubt that solving the problem would cost that much in the first year! BUT that is on the assumption that you could find a competent engineer who does a good job at a reasonable cost.

I was called to one last week. This guy had been there THREE times, spending about THREE hours every visit and it still was not fixed! He replaced bits totalling £105.

I spent 55 minutes, charged our standard charge of £84 in London and replaced a £60 part , total £144. Its now guaranteed for 12 months exc. any more parts.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back