Potterton Puma 80 boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read numerous questions and answere relating to problems with Puma boilers and as advised have replaced the DHW flow switch and microswitch. However, when turning on the hot tap the boiler still wont fire up and the pilot light goes out after about 8-10secs. Could the air flow switch be another problem ???? Any advise appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Without further information it would be difficult to give you the correct advice!

Does the boiler make any noises when a hot tap it turned on?

Does the pilot go out 8-10 secs after a demand for hot water is made?

Does the pilot also go out on CH as well ?

If the answer is yes to all those questions then I would be suspecting a restriction in the gas supply. Is the gas supply valve under the boiler turned fully on?

However, testing for that should normally only be done by a gas competent person who would usually be CORGI registered.

Tony

the boiler still wont fire up and the pilot light goes out after about 8-10secs.
SO the pilot goes out without the burner coming on? Multiple faults then, call a gasman.

The pilot light also goes out when central heating switch is turned on - boiler does not fire up in either case. I havn't touched the gas inlet. I suspect it may be a problem with the fuse board as there was a leak from the old flow switch ?!

Sponsored Links
I think you have a restricted gas supply but this will require a CORGI.

There might be other faults as well.

Do you have a working gas cooker?

Tony

The fan could be blowing the pilot out, for various reasons.

The gas cooker is working no problem and ample gas flow.
I have followed the troubleshooting guide on the rear of the boiler panel and the red LED light keeps coming on when demand for DHW is called for - it says the flow switch needs replacing, but I can quite clearly see it working as the spring moves in and out when tap turned on !
If I proceed beyond this stage I get to a point where it says the temp sensor or else modulation board needs replacing !? £ 150 later and £60 for flow switch already spent !

No no no. It's supposed to come on when the tap's on. It MUST go OUT as soon as the tap goes OFF, but that isn't the fault on your boiler.
Time to call a gasman!

Just thought you might like to know - I have just tried switching the central heating on and the boiler fired up mysteriously !! I then opened the hot tap, turned off the CH and the boiler remained fired up and providing DHW. I turned the tap on and off a few times and it has fired up on demand, albeit witha slight delay as was the problem initially before the flow switch went. Just glad to have hot water and x fingers it remains oK.

If its firing up then the problem will not be a restricted gas supply.

It would seem to be the pilot getting blown out when the fan comes on as Chris suggests.

However, if that is the problem it would not usually be so well established and then suddenly go away!

There are only three things that put the pilot light out, a shortage of gas, a discontinuity in the o/h stat and getting blown out when the fan is on.

What was your £150 spent on?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back