Potterton Puma 80 Combi Boiler? Mind of its own???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I seem to be having a problem with my Potterton Puma 80 heating water when the burner is not actually on! Any ideas?

I have noticed over the past few days a strangle bubbling sound from within the boiler (sounds like boiling water) and a hissing/spluttering/gurgling of very hot water escaping from the auto airvent valve (looks like a car tyre pressure cap) at the top left of the boiler. This is usually when I get home from work after the boiler being unused for 8-10 hrs, or 1st thing in a morning, when again its been unused overnight!

Previously when first drawing water from the hot tap it would be lukewarm for the few seconds before the burner fired up - which I assumed was residual heat, but now when you draw HW its absolutely scalding hot as if its been sat "boiling" away in the boiler all day long.

Surely the pilot light cannot have anything to do with the water getting this hot can it? Thats the only source of heat I can find as its definitely not the burner (even left the boiler in standby to test that theory today!!)

I have recently had an engineer out for a separate problem where the PCB & Fan were replaced, but now I have the new problem of extremely hot water (when I didnt ask for any!!), and not knowing much about boilers I dont want to come home one day to find my boiler has exploded (or something along those lines....)

Any info/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
was gona say maybe your fan is stuck and the pilot is heating the heat exchanger up over a few hours but u say its been replaced. :confused:

Hiya Dan the Man,

Yeah - fan has just been replaced, I had come to the same conclusion, but other than the pilot light heating it I really cant see what else it could be as the boiler definitely hasnt been firing up!!!

??? :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
The fan should run slow when the boiler is not being used.

If not then it indicates there may be a PCB fault.

Tony

cheaper fan without a slow run connection.

No, it doesn't work that way, only one fan for either Puma 80. The Slow fan speed is provided by the printed cct board (tapping from transformer). He may have fitted the wrong one of those. Look Carefully to see if link LK1 is fitted on the board, or there's just a printed line on it.
The correct pcb should have a number of components missing from the lower left corner of the board

Hey Chris,

Just had the front cover off now (at 11pm at night might I add hehe) and looking at it, link LK1 is not fitted, there is no wire, just the printed line as you described!!

Does this mean that the wrong PCB has been fitted??!!?? I wont be happy with the engineer if it is the wrong one!! :evil:

Also - to add to the saga, got up this morning to discover lots of water under the boiler and the low pressure light was illuminated! Checked source of leak and I think it was from the auto air vent on the top of the boiler but not 100% certain.....

Anyway, re-filled using the flexible hose underneath and everything is working again, haven't noticed the original problem yet, but central heating has been on so havent really had a chance to monitor, will check 1st thing tomorrow morning when boiler has been inactive overnight!

Thanks - good to know someone knows what they are talking about unlike me!!!!

Mike :D

Yes, he has fitted the PCB for the electronic ignition model.

Ensure he comes and fits the correct one with the LK1 in place for the pilot light model.

Ideally the pilot should be turned off if the fans not running slowly.

He must fit the correct one at no additional charge otherwise its CORGI and Trading Standards who you will be complaining to.

I assume is really is CORGI registered?

Tony

Hi Tony,

I assume you are referring to the puma 80e when you mention the electronic ignition model, as opposed to the puma 80 model I have?

I am actually covered by Homeserve insurance, the guy was wearing a homeserve uniform and turned up in a homeserve van so if he's not corgi registered there will be a strongly worded letter of complaint received at their offices! Infact there will be astrongly worded letter of complaint anyway seeing as he has fitted the wrong bloody board!!

He did mention when he fitted it "this should be ok, looks identical to the old one"

Am I right in thinking that its not only stupid but dangerous to fit the wrong board as its obviously casuing some sort of heat and/or pressure buildup within the actual boiler itself?

I shall be ringing both Potterton's technical helpline to confirm your suspiscion tomorrow and also Homeserve to kick off big time!! One of my colleagues used to work at Homeserve in Preston as a complaints manager so will be guiding me through the process and ensuring the problem is resolved as quickly as possible.

Iv'e turned the pilot off now as dont want a repeat of last nights performance (or worse!!!) - I knew something wasnt right!

Thanks for your help - I'll post tomorrow to keep everyone informed!

Mike :mad:

Agile said:
He must fit the correct one at no additional charge otherwise its CORGI and Trading Standards who you will be complaining to.
Why? Why not the HSE?

I assume is really is CORGI registered?
Why do you assuem that? It would be much safer to assume that he isn't.

The auto air vents leak for a pastime, especially if the boiler has overheated though the fan not being kept runnning. Still, they only cost a few quid.

Sounds like yer man has fitted the board for the Electronic version. The only component other than LK1 which would be missing is C17 in that case, leaving an empty 1cm circle in the lower middle of the board. Oh and (I've just looked!) Puma Elec Modulation 21/18601 on the relay sticker instead of Puma P Pilot Modulation and 21/18867.

I've heard of potterton guys who just put the link in and use that "wrong" board - no idea what the capacitor C17 does, sorry. Raden should know, he mends them!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help so far. Just to confirm I have spoken to Potterton Tech. Support who have confirmed that I do indeed have the wrong modulation printed circuit board fitted which will cause the boiler to overheat and water to discharge from the auto air-vent. More alarmingly they advised it could cause an electrical fault which could spark a fire within the unit!!!!!!!

They also advised to switch the gas/electricity supply off until the fault is rectified!

I am about to ring Homeserve and play MERRY HELL with them.

NOT A HAPPY BUNNY!!

Mike

hi I have the same fault my boiler as insurance on it and potterton have been out to it and changed the pcb and everthing did you have any joy?thanks pc

hi I have the same fault my boiler as insurance on it and potterton have been out to it and changed the pcb and everthing did you have any joy?thanks pc
You're unlikely to get a response from a forum member who hasn't posted anything for nearly three years.

If you have an insurance policy then complain to them if they are not fixing it for you.

If they dont know how to then they can ask for technical help in the gas engineer's part of this site.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back