potterton puma 80 dilema

Sponsored Links
Can you name even one boiler where you can reach the fan motor without opening the combustion chamber.

Halstead Bentley ?

Thats a good shout rob , I started thinking about that , strange thing is exactly 10 feet away from me is a halstead bentley in my house :) & I still could.nt think of one !

On the contrary, I was a CORGI installer from 1971 until I retired in 2007.
In that time I installed and serviced a lot of gas boilers, And in every case the fan impeller was accessable INSIDE the CC and the fan motor and motor cooling fan was accessable on the OUTSIDE of the CC. So why are you asking me to prove that the fan is outside the CC when I have already clearly stated the above. :?: :?:.
You say that two RGI`s can`t be wrong :?: :?: . I get the impression that so called RGI`s have a law of their own and the rest of us are stupid.
So perhaps, just perhaps you will admit that I am not making false claims and admit that you are wrong. Now thats what I call a senior moment. ;) ;)

spraggo

Sponsored Links
I am sorry to say that you are wrong about the Puma and the only candidate which has been mentioned is the Halstead Bentley.

Don't you remember the Puma? Would you like to come and see one and I will even give you a coffee when you admit that you are wrong.

Of course there are trolls on forums who state that black is white just to be provocative.

Tony

The big sealed bit is called the combustion chamber cover, though the CC itself is really the smaller one inside with the flames inside! Semantics!
The big bit is the one DIY chappies shouldn't take off.

I wonder if the replacement circuit board was one for a puma P or a Puma E ? IF there's a number of components not fitted to the lower left part of the board, you have the wrong one.
The P board just has an absent capacitor, fairly centrally, about 10mm diameter.

I am sorry to say that you are wrong about the Puma and the only candidate which has been mentioned is the Halstead Bentley.

Don't you remember the Puma? Would you like to come and see one and I will even give you a coffee when you admit that you are wrong.

Of course there are trolls on forums who state that black is white just to be provocative.

Tony

Hi Tony.
Thank you for your invite but before I accept I must warn you that I would win this friendly argument for the following reasons:

If you visit the Diy gas section on this forum you will observe that it states “Gas work includes anything which involves removal of the combustion chamber cover or sealed boiler case cover”. As you should know, being a RGI, that boilers with sealed cases were restricted to the ones that worked on positive pressure within their combustion chambers, such as the Potterton Netaheat etc. And you should also know that the combustion chambers of the Potterton Puma and Halstead Bentley for example, have negative pressure and therefore it is not illegal for Diyers to remove these boiler cases. Perhaps other RGI`s would like to air their views on this.

Regards
spraggo

The air flow switch may appear to be working, but if either of the flexible tubes to or from the switch are frayed or blocked, or if their connection points are blocked [ especially the one on top of the chamber] there may not be enough air flow [ when called for] to operate the switch.

The combustion chamber is the combustion chamber , wether it is negative or positive is in this context irelevant !

As far as gas safe are concerned the removal of the combustion chamber seal would constitute gas work!

What some one does as a diyer in there own home is a matter for them ,in most cases any rgi on this site will not advise that any diyer removes the combustion chamber seal & the reasons for this should be obvious ?? Must admit at times I have sliped up with advice & have been told off for it ? ( rightly so )

transam";p="1824166 said:
The combustion chamber is the combustion chamber , wether it is negative or positive is in this context irelevant !

What I was stating is , that anyone can remove the cover/door from a boiler that is NOT sealed to the casing to carry out unrelated gas work, for instance to change a pump or diverter valve etc. Do you agree ??.

Spraggo you dont know what you're talking about.

Spraggo you dont know what you're talking about.

Read my previous qoutes and think about it. So what you are saying is that the casing door on your Halstead Bentley cannot be removed only by a RGI :eek: :eek: :?: :?:

in every case the fan impeller was accessable INSIDE the CC and the fan motor and motor cooling fan was accessable on the OUTSIDE of the CC.

Wrong

The motor is bolted to the side if the fan how can one be inside and one outside :rolleyes:

As you should know, being a RGI, that boilers with sealed cases were restricted to the ones that worked on positive pressure within their combustion chambers

Wrong

combustion chambers of the Potterton Puma and Halstead Bentley for example, have negative pressure and therefore it is not illegal for Diyers to remove these boiler cases

Wrong

Read my previous qoutes and think about it. So what you are saying is that the casing door on your Halstead Bentley cannot be removed only by a RGI

Of course it can its just a few screws. Are they breaking gas regs if they're not competent to test the safety of the appliance afterwards? Yes.

Rob";p="1825033 said:
The motor is bolted to the side if the fan how can one be inside and one outside

If you remove the casing from your boiler you will note that there is a small fan on the top, known as the motor cooling fan, by spinning this fan you will also be spinning the motor and the larger fan inside the CC.

Perhaps if I had stated that the boiler casings on positive pressure boilers acted as the CC you would have understood better.

If no gas related work was carried out on your boiler what safety checks would you have to carry out after refitting the casing. Considering that I don`t know what I am talking about , please reply as I am always ready to learn. :mrgreen:

Spraggo, I can see your arguement for motor outside/fan inside but the point in question is the removal of the front panel or "combustion chamber door," most fans are totally inside this area, although the impellor is, more often than not, actually in the flue collector hood NOT the actual combustion chamber.
There was, I believe, a baxi solo that also had the fan motor on the outside but that is quite unusual.(I'll see if I can find which model)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back