POTTERTON PUMA 80 ELECTRICAL BURNING? £95 AND STILL BROKEN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there. Any advice welcome.

I have noticed an electrical type burning smell over the last few days coming from our Potterton Puma 80 Combi. The smell is strong, intermittent and soon goes after a few minutes (5-10 minutes). The boiler is on constant tickover during these cold months. I've taken the front cover off to see if I could see any obvious burning on the PCB or any wires but I can't see anything suspicious.

Also every now and again we'll wake up in the morning and it's FREEZING. The pilot had for some reason gone out during the night. I relight it and it's fine for another few days or so. Seems to happen when the timer's set to 'timed', not 'constant' but that may not have anything to do with it.

The burning is my main concern.

Any input welcome.

Sincere regards

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
ACOperson said:
Look at the top left hand of the board in particular.

Thanks guys. Yes, at the top left under the fuse is a resistor 'R1' and each side where it enters the PCB it's discoloured and burnt. Will it last a fair while then one day just go or is failure imminent? Can't smell anything today or last night and it's been on permanently.

Do I need to change the whole PCB? If so where do I get it from and how much roughly will it cost.

Sincere regards for all your assistance.

Found the problem. There's a pressure relief spring valve type thingy that is directly above the timer/thermo wiring junction behind the PCB. This valve is slowly dripping water directly onto the terminals. That's what I can smell, it's in a right state, fizzing and burning! I'll replace the wiring junction but what about the relief valve thing what do I do about that? Is it a DIY job? Where to get one, what's it called, etc? Many thanks all.

what's it called, etc?

would you believe

pressure releif valve :D

partscentre or similar

not usually to hard to change ;)

a. Remove the white front case and base panel.
See 5.1 & 5.2 in ’Routine Maintenance’.
b. Close the central heating isolating valves, reduce the
system pressure by opening the pressure relief valve, then
drain the water from the appliance by removing the drain off
screw on the underside of the pump manifold.
c. Undo the outlet tube nut and fully remove the two grub
screws holding the pressure relief valve to the pump
manifold, undo the top compression joint on the pressure
relief valve discharge pipe then remove the valve.

from the servicing instructions :D

kevplumb said:
what's it called, etc?

would you believe

pressure releif valve :D

partscentre or similar

not usually to hard to change ;)

a. Remove the white front case and base panel.
See 5.1 & 5.2 in ’Routine Maintenance’.
b. Close the central heating isolating valves, reduce the
system pressure by opening the pressure relief valve, then
drain the water from the appliance by removing the drain off
screw on the underside of the pump manifold.
c. Undo the outlet tube nut and fully remove the two grub
screws holding the pressure relief valve to the pump
manifold, undo the top compression joint on the pressure
relief valve discharge pipe then remove the valve.

from the servicing instructions :D

Best get a plumber in!!
How much should a plumber charge parts & labour for the above job roughly so I don't get ripped off!

Cheers.

how longs a piece of string :rolleyes: depends where you live mainly in Wales it would cost about £20 in the middle of London about £200 :rolleyes:

You sure you mean the pressure relief valve - it isn't behind the pcb really, but over on the right. Do you mean the DHW flow switch, which has a spring visible through a hole?
See here
image2196.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back