Potterton Puma 80 HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Iam new to this forum but at my wits end.

I have a Puma 80 Combi Boiler which keeps cutting out. The fan is working and the water pressure is OK. If I remove the covers the boiler fires up and keeps working for CH and HW. But when I replace the covers and try it the boiler fires up and then cuts out completely after about 5 seconds.

Any ideas folks?

PS is it OK to use the boiler with the covers off??

Sponsored Links
NO DONT USE WITH COMBUSTION COVER OFF. If it works only with the cover off it sounds as if its not getting enough air for combustion.With the cover on watch the burner flame if it starts to lift off its hunting for oxygen vissable check all your flue for obstructions no mater how small and check your fan blades are clear not full off crap (if your are confident)

pablow said:
Hi

Iam new to this forum but at my wits end.

I have a Puma 80 Combi Boiler which keeps cutting out. The fan is working and the water pressure is OK. If I remove the covers the boiler fires up and keeps working for CH and HW. But when I replace the covers and try it the boiler fires up and then cuts out completely after about 5 seconds.

Any ideas folks?

PS is it OK to use the boiler with the covers off??

as cog says NO!!!!!!!!!!!

but it sounds like your air flow switch needs changing :)

I have exactly the same boiler and exactly the same problem. Our problem started in January and had just gone from bad to worse.

It started with it going out and then not relighting so we called a plumber.
We have since called out endless plumbers :eek:

We have have new thermo coupling loops fitted, we have had a new pump. The boiler is now kettling and overheating. Last night the heating came on and it was not even turned on. A friend said it could be the diverter valve now! :cry: We put some stuff in the rads to as one plumber said we had a blockage. The boiler is only 2 years old!

Nobody seems to know what the problem is they just keep trying new things....!!!!

Time to send it to a premature death we think :( . Anyone know any good combi boilers to heat 10 rads and a sealed shower!

Sponsored Links
yhe problem is you dont need a plumber you want a heating engineer (there is a difference)

you could try (one more time) with a heating engineer or do what we did call b.gas, they will charge you to fix it, but when its working they will then offer you insurance which covers most things (not heat exchanger)

breezer said:
yhe problem is you dont need a plumber you want a heating engineer (there is a difference)

you could try (one more time) with a heating engineer or do what we did call b.gas, they will charge you to fix it, but when its working they will then offer you insurance which covers most things (not heat exchanger)

who does that then???

Still say Air flow switch, pretty standard fault with 80's I find

Quite likely to be dirt in the air flow department. Air switch tubes blocked - a bit of fluff on the end will do it - or a dirty fan . Can also be a wrongly assembled flue.

Working on flues and air paths is a corgi bod's job, of course.

Kem needs a plumber engineer - that is someone to come and sort out his plumbers....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back