Potterton Puma 80 & Hot Water Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise me what the hell is wrong with my god damn boiler now please!

The Hot Water typically takes about 2 minutes to get hot. It then stays hot for around 2 minutes, then goes freezing cold, then repeats itself.

It only gets Hot and stays Hot IF the CH is switched ON, but when the CH is switched on the pressure is lower (presumably because the Boiler is worknig twice as hard) and you get a trickle of water.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks

Sponsored Links
possibly diverter valve fault, wax capsule is stuck/broke so only letting minimal amount of water through, this may also not be enough to activate flow switch properly so water goes cold

Check diverter - turn CH off to allow pipes belw boiler to cool.
Run HW, see if flow pipe gets hot. If it does, Diverter needs replacing.

I had the Diverter Valve Wax Capsule replaced about 3 months ago!

(At that point we had no CH).

But this problem was occuring before the Diverter Valve was replaced and continued afterwards. It was however, bearable, but now im getting rapidly fed-up of trickle-strength luke warm showers!

Sponsored Links
Have you got VERY hard water?
When you turn the tap on, the red light on the pcb should come on. Does it? To access that you'll have to take the front cover off, 2 screws underneath.

Do you have a multimeter? If so measure hot water sensor resistance.

Could well be that your system is full of drab and the diverter is blocked again, see FAQ for soiled system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back